Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

stereo removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Default stereo removal

Need to know how to remove factory stereo?

Old 10-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: stereo removal

What make/model/year are you working on?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM

I got a 07 Tiburon. I want to hook up a amp and sub, but need to know the best way to get to the back of the deck.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Sonata stereo deck and faceplate (fake wood grain cover) can be removed by carefully placing plastic credit cards between faceplate and dash material. There are four plastic clips that push into metal clips in dashboard. My son and I used four credit cards (those received in junk mail). Carefully insert one credit card at the top of faceplate , then insert another credit card so credit cards are doubled up. Do this to both right and left sides, then slowly slide credit cards around curves and down sides. Faceplate should let loose at top, then continue sliding credit cards down until bottom clips release. We held the credit cards at about 45 degree angle, which seemed to help pop faceplate off. Once faceplate releases, then there will be two electrical plugs at the top of it and two at the bottom(A/C area), push on the little clips on each while gently pulling on plug. When the four plugs are releasedthe only thing left is a rubber hose to the A/C area, just carefully twist it loose, then faceplate can be put to the side. Four screws hold the stereo in, unscrew them and pull stereo out. Stereo has one antenna plug pull it loose, and take stereo wiring clip loose from back of stereo. Stereo can now be removed. We installed Dual head unit with Metra stereo adapter kit and Metra wiring kit #70-7301. I matched up the wires from the stereo to the Metra wiring adapter. At first try of the new stereo, we did not have any sound, but Metra tech. dept. informed me that I probably had not connected the blue wire with white tracer that powers the stock Sonata amplifier. They were right, once power antenna wire and stock amplifier power wire were to the blue/white wire it worked. Stereo sounds nice. Faceplate can be gently but firmly pushed back into dashboard. Hope this helps!!!