Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

What does the relay do for a HID conversion kit???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Default What does the relay do for a HID conversion kit???

I just purchased a HID conversion kit from Tenon Lighting Systems the other day. But I'm kind of confused because I've been hearing about a relay while floating around on youtube, can anyone tell me what it is and what it does? Please use simple english because I've never installed an HID kit before. I have a 2007 Hyundai Tiburon SE, no subs or anything that draws a lot of power.

Thank you

Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM

The relay harness is used to provide power to the HID kit directly from the battery rather than through the car's factory headlight circuit. In some cases this can provide better performance from the HID headlights.

For example, I installed an HID kit on my 2006 Sonata. I found that when the car was at idle the headlights would flicker a bit. I installed a relay harness and the flicker problem was eliminated.

If I were you I would be inclined to just install the kit and see how it is. If you are having any issues that may be power related such as flickering then you could try a relay harness. Otherwise leave it as is and enjoy your HID's!

This is just my opinion and you should proceed as you see fit.