Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

oil on spark plugs problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:04 AM
joe
Default oil on spark plugs problem

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to a problem with my Hyundai MVI S Coupe 1993 Automatic.

I have oil covering the 2 right hand side spark plugs. I don't seem to be burning alot of oil from the exhaust but I have noticed a lack of power recently.

All suggestions welcome !

Thank you for your consideration

Old 10-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Default RE: oil on spark plugs problem

Sounds like you've got oil leaking in through the valve guide seals or through the pistons. No easy fix for either. The loss of power sounds as though the plugs are not firing properly.
Hope this helps, Good Luck!!
Brant

Old 10-19-2005, 02:47 PM

blown head gasket, or blow-by ..... a head gasket will have a worse effect on a cars performance or ability to run at all for that matter

Old 10-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds to me like a couple of things. One it could be the headgasket but you will have antifreeze in your oil. Loss of power is from friction heat and compression loss. If you are getting oil on the plugs then it is flowing past the pistons which is a good indicator that your piston rings are fried I am willing to guarantee that is the problem. Tear off the head and check it out.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:42 PM

Sorry this post is ancient but it sounds like there is a leak in the valve cover. Is the oil on the top of the plug or bottom?

ORIGINAL: joe

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to a problem with my Hyundai MVI S Coupe 1993 Automatic.

I have oil covering the 2 right hand side spark plugs. I don't seem to be burning alot of oil from the exhaust but I have noticed a lack of power recently.

All suggestions welcome !

Thank you for your consideration

Old 01-17-2008, 02:43 AM

well can be piston rings , valve seals, head gasket you can check that like this open your radiator if you see some white stuff or like that in the radiator your are mixing oil with water get a compression gauge and check it have to give you 180 psi if it gives 170 is a little bit harmed oyur engine but if it says 160 psi you need a repair and the valve seals if your are stopped and you accelerate your engine and it smoke there is another problem

Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Alvin but this thread (and the other 2 threads you posted in) are really old.I know you are just trying to help but the original question was asked back in October of 2005. I'm sure the problem is fixed by now. A word of advice, take a look at the date on post before replying.

Again, thanks and welcome to the forum.