General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

06 Sonata Lock/Unlock Relay Location

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Default 06 Sonata Lock/Unlock Relay Location

Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the Lock and Unlock relay location? I've been all under the steering wheel area behind the fuse panel and can't seem to locate them. There is a sort of cream colored rectangular box which is mounted to a bracket with wires coming out of it, and I can read "Kia" on it. But, I've been unable to get it off the bracket. Does anyone know if that's a housing for the relays?

Thanks, it's driving me crazy!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Is there a concern related to you looking for this item ? You might be spinning your wheels... what is operating concern withthe motor vehicle ?

Kinda hate to break the news, but the relay(s) is internal to the I/P junction block...

Old 08-14-2010, 04:49 PM

I've been having some problems with the door locks not always working and everything I've read has pointed to one of the relays being bad. What is the I/P junction block?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:04 PM

OK I get it- Instrument Panel junction box. Do you know where it's located?
Thanks

Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by chrismgan
OK I get it- Instrument Panel junction box. Do you know where it's located?
Thanks
Yep - in the dash... all the lock problems we see is the actuator at the door latch inoperative... do all the locks not work at same time, or just 1 door not operate ??

Attached Thumbnails 06 Sonata Lock/Unlock Relay Location-pict0271.jpg   06 Sonata Lock/Unlock Relay Location-pict0273.jpg   06 Sonata Lock/Unlock Relay Location-pict0272.jpg  

Last edited by sbr711; 08-14-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 PM

I'm mainly having problems with the driver door and the one behind it. Are the Lock/Unlock relays pictured in the pic's you posted?
Thanks

Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by chrismgan
I'm mainly having problems with the driver door and the one behind it.
And the passenger side doors work fine .... it not the relays... replace the latch-actuator assembly in the affected doors --> everyday occurrence.

Are the Lock/Unlock relays pictured in the pic's you posted?
No, they is internal to the junction block

Thanks

If all the doors all not work at the same time, then I might be lead to think relay, but if you have 2 door that not work while the other 2 work fine, you definitely aint got a relay problem.. Week before last I just put latch-actuator assembly in both right front and right rear doors..

Last edited by sbr711; 08-14-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Ok, makes sense. Replacing the actuator looks like a pretty involved deal, is it?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Kinda time consuming if you never done it.. easy part is getting door panel off. Leave window switch connected for a minute to align regulator with access holes to release glass, then unplug switch and toss door panel inside car.

Then it is a matter of releasing glass from regulator, loosen the 2 bolts at front door, rear door is a lone screw.. lift glass at front and use long strip of masking tape to hold glass up out of way.

Releasing glass at rear is pain, tech at our place broke a couple windows before getting the trick down.. large flat blade to fit slot and push carefully and lift glass up, tape it up too.

Take door handles off, remove cables from handles, and push boots out of sheet metal panel.

Remove bolts around perimeter of panel, and remove it slightly from door, you WILL NEED to reach inside door and unplug connector from actuator, harness will not let you remove panel,,, they is fun to get loose from door and work around to get off door, as regulator hooks around door sheet metal to get the panel off/on..

Need to remove exterior door handle cap and handle, then the 3 bolts that hold latch to door. pul the works out, swap handle assembly to new latch, reassemble door..... DO NOT FORGET to plug in actuator before finally setting panel fully into place.

I can 1 in about an hr, I like to have car on lift and raised so I can open door and stand up with the works right there at comfortable working level (I dont work on the floor or bend a lot),, and I do not break a leg doing them, too much to go wrong fast doing that job.

Last edited by sbr711; 08-14-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:23 PM

Well, I really appreciate the help and advice. I'm not sure if I'm going to try and tackle it myself. I gotta think on this one.
Thanks for all your help you've been great,
Chris

Quick Reply: 06 Sonata Lock/Unlock Relay Location