General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

17 inch alloy bolt pattern

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Default 17 inch alloy bolt pattern

I saw a bunch of Azera 17 inch alloys for sale at a really good price, but the bolt pattern is listed as 5X114.3.
My 07 Sonata has 17's and I wanted another set to put winter tires on. Looking at Nokian Hakkepelita??sp?? Aren't all the Hyundai wheels (except 4 bolt) 5X115? I could also go with 16 inch and put on a taller winter tire. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Basically, yes. The Azera wheels will fit your Sonata but I would suggest 16" wheels. I have 18" Veracruz wheels on my Tucson and used the original 16" Tucson wheels for snow tires.
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...2&postcount=19

Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Basically, yes. The Azera wheels will fit your Sonata but I would suggest 16" wheels. I have 18" Veracruz wheels on my Tucson and used the original 16" Tucson wheels for snow tires.
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...2&postcount=19
Thanks for the info. So out of curiosity why did you go for 16s on the Tucson for winter?

I also have a Olds Regency elite that has 15 inch alloys. The optional 16 inch wheels are what I put the ice radials on. There wasn't much difference in price between the 2 tire sizes. That's why I was thinking of keeping the Sonata with low profile winter tires.

Just to confirm though, Azera and Tucson use the same bolt pattern as Sonata? I just would hate to buy the wheels and ship them to find they don't fit.
Here's a pic of the wheels I'm looking at, they're listed as new and I think they look just killer. I think they would look really awesome on my Sonata.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Allan R
Thanks for the info. So out of curiosity why did you go for 16s on the Tucson for winter?
Because the 16" wheels were the original factory wheels that came with it. I replaced them with the Veracruz 18" wheels. So since I had the 16" wheels and wasn't using them, instead of selling them I kept them for winter tires.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Because the 16" wheels were the original factory wheels that came with it. I replaced them with the Veracruz 18" wheels. So since I had the 16" wheels and wasn't using them, instead of selling them I kept them for winter tires.
Makes sense to me. Saw your other post with the 16" winter tires. They look pretty decent too. If your Tucson has TPMS, can't the sensors on the wheel be transferred back to the 16's? My car doesn't have TPMS so it's not a big deal to me. I think I might just do what you've done only in reverse. My car came with 17's, but I think I'll go with 16's for winter ice radials. Just have to make sure I get the right size tire to make up the difference from the low profiles on the 17's.

Did you run into any difficulty with the speedometer when you changed to 18's? It looks like they have 50's or 60's sidewalls on them.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

The Veracruz wheels I bought did not come with TPMS sensors so when I removed the 16" Tucons wheels I had the sensors from each wheel removed and installed on the Veracruz wheels. That way I did not have to reprogram the TPMS system in the car. However, that left the Tucson wheels without sensors. I just installed standard valves in the wheels in place of the sensors. So when I drive with the Tucson wheels and snow tires, the TPMS light is on. But, since I only use those wheels for 3 months at most it's doesn't really bother me. As soon as I reinstall the Veracruz wheels in the spring, the light goes out.

It would cost too much to remove the sensors from one set of wheels to install them in the other set every time you change wheels because you would have to dismount the tires from one set of wheels, remove the sensors, install the sensors in the new wheels, re-mount and re-balance the tires every time. That is just too costly. The other option is almost as bad. That would involve buying another set of 4 sensors for the other wheels but them having to go to a dealer every time the wheels are swapped to have them reprogram the system to the new sensors. Unfortunatley, the system can only be programmed with 4 sensors at a time and only a dealer with a special scan tool can do the programming (at a cost). I think my 3rd option of looking at the TPMS sensor light for 3 months is the best one.

As far as the speedometer goes, the wheel size doesn't matter as long as the overall tire diameter is the same. Stock size tires were 235/60-16 and the Veracruz wheels have 235/50-18 tires. The overall diamater is different by only 4mm (about 5/32"). So if you do buy 16" wheels for your snow tires, make sure those tires have a diameter that is as close to the factory 17" tires. Also, I'd suggest going with slightly thinner tires for the winter as they cut through the snow better. My summer tires are 235/50-16 but my winter tires are slightly thinner at 215/70-16. Those are 19mm taller than the factory size and only 15mm taller than the 18" summer tires.

Last edited by NovaResource; 10-08-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Thx Nova,
Good information to know. Didn't know that stuff about the TPMS sensors. Guess I'm glad they're not on my car, because we have winter conditions for about 5 1/2 months. I'd probably end up with a burnt out dash light by then. I'll look for some 16s and heed your advice.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 PM

Nova,
I realize you probably shop around, but I noticed these TPMS sensors on ebay for Hyundai. They're new and pretty reasonably priced IMO compared to dealer pricing. If you know an independent garage that has a TPMS scan/reset tool, this might be a good alternative to the dash light being on all the time during the winter. Now I'm not sure how the system works, but it would be logical for the reset tool to program the sensors to match the car. This would give you 2 sets of wheels with active monitoring.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/SET-4-HYUNDAI-KIA...item2ead33b3ef

I see what you mean about the TPMS reset tool. Yikes! some are over 1000.00

Old 10-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Allan R
If you know an independent garage that has a TPMS scan/reset tool, this might be a good alternative to the dash light being on all the time during the winter.
As far as I know, it's a dealer-only tool.