General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Azera motor oil capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Default 2007 Azera motor oil capacity?

Hi,

I would like to know about motor oil capacity for 2007 Arera 3.3 and 3.8. The owner's manual was torn down by my stupid dog. Is it 5.7 quarts or 6.0 quarts?

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2007 Azera motor oil capacity?

According to http://www.hmaservice.com/

3.3L and 3.8L:
Total = 6.76 qts (6.4L)

That more than I thought it would be.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 PM

Hi,

The pan has 5.81 quarts and filter has 0.42 quarts.
It will be 6.23 quarts, soI need more than six bottles of oilsfor changingoil and filter. Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:54 PM

Nyet! Why?

Because you will NOT get every last drop of oil out of your engine unless you take it apart.

I raise mine in such a manner that the oil drain is at its lowest and best drain angle and
in that manner I get out as much as possible and yet it takes onlysix quarts to fill it.

Most people and surely the commercial establishments will not take the time or go to
the lengths I go to to get out as much old oilas possible, and therefore usually
only need to use five and one half quarts to fill the engine to the full mark.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 AM

Thank you for the clear answer.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hermtm2

Hi,

The pan has 5.81 quarts and filter has 0.42 quarts.
It will be 6.23 quarts, soI need more than six bottles of oilsfor changingoil and filter. Am I on the right track?

Thanks.
Intersting. I only looked at the total number not the individual components. The HMA Service website does say 5.81 in the pan and 0.42 in the filter yet it also saysthe total is 6.76 qts. Strange. That's half a quart difference. Maybe Derrel is correct in saying that while thesystem holds a total of 6.76 qts you can't get that total out. So when doing oil changes 0.53 qts stays in the engine. If that's true, Yes, I would only add 6.23 qts back in. Very interesting.

I just checked the other vehicles that use the 3.3L and 3.8L Lambda (Sonata, Sante Fe, Entourage) and all say the same thing. It must be something in the design of the Lambda lubrication system that keeps half a quart in the system when drained via the oil pan plug. In that case, yes, only put in 6-1/4 quarts.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Hi,

I have one more question. The filter of Azera is not ametal cantype which are attached at the side of engine block as you knew. When the metal can type filter is replaced, there is some amount of oil inside the can.However the Azera filter is only filter. How can I drain oil from the Azear's oil filter?

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Here's some helpful info for anyone else who wants to change their own.

1. The oil filter housing is accessed from the top of the engine by removing the decorative cover which is held on by 6 bolts/nuts. Facing the engine, the filter housing cover is a domed round plastic cap about 4" in diameter.

2. Note carefully that there's a white painted "match" mark somewhere on the more exposed side of the filter housing. When you twist the cap back on, you'll want to make sure you turn it far enough to get those marks to line up again.

3. There is apparently a special tool for removing the filter cap sold by Hyundai, but I was able to easily twist mine off my hand. Before starting to remove the cap, wrap rags around the housing below the cap to catch any oil that might drip during cartridge lift-out. Also, have a container of some sort handy into which you can lift the cartridge without trailing it across the top of the engine.

4. Change the filter BEFORE draining the oil out of the pan to enable the oil trapped in the housing to drain into the pan before the pan is emptied.

5. The cap takes several turns to get it off. When you lift it off, the filter will come with it since the filter is mounted on a hollow spindle that's attached to the cap and extends out of the bottom end of the filter a few inches. Once out of the housing, the old filter pulls straight off the spindle.

6. There are four o-rings to concern yourself with. They come with the replacement filter. Two are already installed inside the ends of the filter, there's one about 1/2" in diameter that can be found on the end of the spindle, and a large one the diameter of the cap seals the cap to the housing. The small one on the end of the spindle is sorta hard to get off and replace. Squeeze the o-ring, press it one direction, and get a nail under the loose part to help pry it off. Before putting on the new one, oil it to help it slip over the end of the spindle and back into its groove. The larger one is much easier to replace. Oil it too.

7. Before placing the new cartridge onto the spindle, oil the two o-rings inside the ends of the filter. This will help them slip into place. Push it on as far is it will go.

8. I've read on other forums how several people have had problems getting the cap cinched back down properly. That's because they fail to bathe the large o-ring with oil AND the inner surface of the housing where the o-ring will be required to twist/slide into place as the cap is screwed down. Trying to put the cap on with the o-ring and housing inner surface dry will be almost impossible, will probably damage the o-ring, and will most likely leak. Twist the cap/filter assembly down till it bottoms out on the housing, and the white marks are aligned.

8. Once that's done, drain your oil and refill as you would any other car. It holds 6 quarts. Don't forget to remove the rag from around the filter housing before replacing the decorative engine cover.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:26 AM

I will try to take a pictures during the job.
Thanks.