General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accent shutting off once its started/parking brake light stays on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Default Accent shutting off once its started/parking brake light stays on?

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum! I wanted to find somewhere that I could get advice from people that have Hyundai's and are used to working on them! My car is a 2001 Accent, 5 speed and it has two main issues right now, the first, which has just started recently, in the morning when I start my car (usually after sitting for 12 hours) it starts up and then dies right away, it turns over and starts fine, but just doesn't stay started, so I turn it off and then start it again and it's good to go. This doesn't happen when I leave work, after being there for 8 1/2 hours, only happens in the morning.

My second problem is that my parking brake light is stuck on! The brake itself is not stuck on, just the light, this started when my rear brakes were going bad, and I have since replaced the drums and brakes and now the light won't go off!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Update: My boyfriend read the OBD codes and it came up with P1033 and P1128, one saying the O2 sensor and the other saying the fuel system is too lean.

Last edited by BarrelRacer; 09-14-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure about #1.

For #2, the light on the dash is not just for the parking brake, it's also a warning for the entire braking system. If the light is on and the praking brake is off there there is a problem with the brakes. My guess is, you probably need to bleed the brakes or at least refill the master. Personally, I'd flush the entire system since it's almost 10 years old.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Not sure about #1.

For #2, the light on the dash is not just for the parking brake, it's also a warning for the entire braking system. If the light is on and the praking brake is off there there is a problem with the brakes. My guess is, you probably need to bleed the brakes or at least refill the master. Personally, I'd flush the entire system since it's almost 10 years old.
Thank you!!