General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

black smoke from exhaust... what could it be???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Default black smoke from exhaust... what could it be???

I have an Elantra 1997 and when pressing on the gas pedal and the motor rev. it brings out black smoke from the exhaust and I went to hyundai for repairing they said the motor wasnt adjusted and they did adjust it and it's much better and moving faster now and everything is ok but still the black smoke comes out can anybody tell me what to do to stop that smoke p.s hyundai said that the exhaust pipe has stored alot of carbon and by going and coming for long distances it shall disappear but i still find the black smoke after nearly driving 3 monthes continously what could it be

Spark plugs has been changed to the original one
fuel filter chnaged
fuel pump chnaged
air filter changed
throtlle has been cleaned
air filter is K&N

plz somebody help i love this car and i dont want to sell cause of that reason what can i do

i will be very thankful to get advices i really need it i love the car it has been alot of memories with it and i dont want to sell it cause of that reason

Old 02-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Default RE: black smoke from exhaust... what could it be???

HELLO it sounds like its running TOO RICH...burning too much carbon..i would have another shop take a look at it and try to adjust the fuel/air ratio mixture..i don't know how to do it, but maybe that will do the trick..GOOD LUCK!! BLACK=CARBON

Old 02-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Default RE: black smoke from exhaust... what could it be???

Thx gail i go tom to hyundai and tell them to do that.. hope it makes the trick cause really its getting on my nerves lol

thx for ur help....

Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Default Hyuday Elantra 1995 smokes black

Hi saiofa666,

I have the same problem and I would like to know if everything is ok now after they adjusted fuel/air mixture?

Please answer me.