General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Elantra --clutch and warrabty

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Default Elantra --clutch and warrabty

My son has a 2003 Elantra manual. He babies it. Conservative driver, doesn't ride the clutch.

Within a few months of getting it he had a strange problem. Cruising on the road, there would be a strange jerk in the car --almost as if the engine had been disconnected from the drive train and reconnected (reminiscent of starting a car with a dead battery on a down hill by popping the clutch). The dealer found an error code and replaced the throttle position sensor. This did not solve the problem -- but the problem remained relatively rare, so no one was too excited when the problem persisted (the recurring problem was reported to the dealer).

Today with 35000 miles on it my son took it in for service. He was told it would need a new clutch disk, plate, t/o bearing, bearing sleeve, etc for a total with labor of about $1000. The dealer said the clutch was not normally covered uner warranty. He suggested I call Hyundai America.

I did. I ended up needing a refill on my blood pressure medication. I received no satisfaction.

The position of the rep ("Troy") was that if we paid to have the clutch torn apart and found a defective part they would repair it. Otherwise it would not be covered. Troy refused to mail me this answer, and also effectively refuxed to let me speak with his supervisor ( he took my phone number and said his supervisor may call me).

I have three questions:

(1) I know that Tiberon's have clutch problem. Is there a problem with premature wear on a an Elantra 2003 clutch?

(2) Can anyone see a possible connection between the jerkiness decribed above and a clutch problem

(3) Anyone have any success with any approach to Hyundai America to get them to cover items like this?

I have to admit that Troy so ticked me off that my inclination is to take them to arbitration or small claims court. However, the dealer has been reasonable and I don't like seeing him caught in the middle.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Elantra --clutch and warrabty

That is one fine rock and hard place you have there!