General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Burning oil???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Default Burning oil???

I wrote a posting earlier on about a shaking problem that I am experiencing in the steering wheel and dashboard. It's a severe shake at times and it only occurs when I am stopped at red lights. When I place the car in Neutral the shaking stops, but the minute I put the car in Drive or Reverse it starts up again. I have gone to 4 different garages and I have been told different stories by each of them. So obviously no one knows what is causing this problem or these guys are trying to rip me off because none of them want to guarantee the job to fix this problem.

One garage told me to check out my timing belt, another garage told me that it may be one of my engine supports, and NOW I have been told that the shaking problem is an idle problem and apparently I am burning oil. They showed me the inside of the intake manifold and it was BLACK and FILLED with oil. I was told that under these circumstances there is also a build up of oil on my pistons, ringsand heads as well.

My question is, "Would this build up of oil be linked to the shaking problem that I am experiencing???"

I bought this car 4-5 months ago and the shaking problem seems to get worse. When I got the car I put 100% synthetic oil in it. So I have added an additive to the oil to clean up the pistons, rings, etc... I will change the oil soon and add more of this additive again. I also plan on cleaning out my intake. But since I have put this additive in my oil I have noticed that I'm majorly losing "take off speed."
(Sometimes I have to put the pedal to the metal in order to get the car moving.)

So what is going on here??? The car has 220 000km on it BUT it is also a 1999, not too old. Is there anything else that needs to be done, and does anyone have any advice on WHAT the PROBLEM really is with this shaking I am experiencing. (By the way, I also changed my fuel filter so it could not bethe filter that is causing this problem. BUT another question I have is, "Could it be possible that when my fuel filter was changed COULD it have been put on backwards, in reverse. Could this be ONE possibility???)

It is time for another oil change and during the time that I made my oil change to now I have had to add about half a liter of oil to my engine. Is this normal or is it a sign that I am burning oil???

When I had a GM there was NEVER a problem is diagnosing a problem. Since I bought this Hyundia NOBODY seems to now what is wrong with it half of the time!!! Hyundia's are nice cars but I regret buying one considering that they are expensive to repair and hard to diagnose problems with it. NOBODY seems to know what they are talking about when I bring my car to a garage for a repair.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Default RE: Burning oil???

This sounds highly similiar to problems Ive had with my 2000 Elantra. It has done almost this exact same thing on two occassions. It rattles hard in reverse, or when stopped at a light. It also seems to be drinking oil at an excessively fast rate.

The first time I took it in for this, it was aspark plug problem. They changed that out, and it was fine for a while. That was about 2 years ago.

This time, they say it was one of the ignition coils. I have yet to get it back out of the shop to see if this is the problem, but the computers diagnosed misfires tied to that.Ironically, though, both times the problem was tied to the ignition system.

In both cases though, the check engine light came on.

I would take this car to the nearest Hyundai dealership. Many garages are not equipped to work on foreign cars, especially ones not named "Honda" or "Toyota", and do not have the proper diagnostic equipment or training to do much more then guess at your problem from the symptoms you list.

I hope that might at least give you a starting point.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Default RE: Burning oil???

Check for a PCV valve stuck open.