General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Buy/build enhanced TPMS monitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Default Buy/build enhanced TPMS monitor

Howdy. (2013 Elantra)

It's my understanding the radios in the tires have individual 'signatures', so I'm not sure why the indicator is limited to notifying us only that "something is low-- Happy checking!"

Since they are just radio signals of some sort, is there perhaps a 3rd party device that could be used to receive and provide more information? Or could such a monitor be built from parts available at Radio Shack or an electronics outlet?

Before anyone reminds me all tires should be checked, routinely AND when a warning light comes, I do. My issue is that the TPMS light (flat tire icon) comes on; I check the tires. Usually they are all within one psi of each other, and not low; I add a little air to each tire just in case; and repeat that process a couple of times a day until after a couple of days the monitor system is happy again.

Of course the light usually comes on when: I'm late; or about to begin a long drive; or it's raining, etc. As in, very inconvenient-- so having to iteratively search for the half-PSI "issue"; drive a bit and check again; repeat . . . very annoying.

So I'd like to be able to 'read' what PSI the tires are reporting. Wham, bam, low-tire issue diagnosed without playing "musical tire inflation."

FWIW, I have a good "dial" gage-- I can't imagine playing this game with a crappy little pencil gage.

Thanks for any help. JT