General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Default check engine light

hi,
my accent 2006 model engine light (orange) check engine light comes on whenever i go over 75k/hour, is this a fault or is their a prob, i have just had a major service, and have spent over 1000 fixing and replacing coils, cracked head gasket. anyone know of similar prob.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 AM

Well, if the MIL is illuminating, why not have the PCM scanned for DTC, then you will have ionfo as the circuit(s) that are out of line... then you will know where to start to effect a repair

Old 08-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

if you are in the US i hear that pepp boys will do the code scan for free...

also a decent code scanner is not that expensive these days. spent $150 CAN on mine and although its not top end, its far from the crappiest model out there. its served me well and i have probably made my money back 3 times over since i've had it...less than 1 year. i've even been able to save friends money. one friend had the dreaded check engine light and all it turned out to be was a loose gas cap...saved her money at the dealer since it was under warranty - we all know warranties don't cover stupidity

Old 08-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Default engine light on 07 accent

i got a 07 accent the engine light has been on the code test said three things 1- fuel pump ( fixed costed 189.00 still light is on) 2- the fuel pressure regulator ( fixed 40.00 still light is on ) 3- oxygen sensor ( fixed )
and the light is still on the fuel lines and tank fuel air filter and gas strainer is good . after replacing each of the parts the light would go off for a few min or untill we take the gas cap off which was replaced as well then it came right back on and it acts like its out of gas when we put gas in it
the code today when i had it redone said either the oxygen sensor or the fuel is running rich. now what does that mean and how do i fix it? and i was just told like 5 min ago that it was to have a tune up spark plugs changed at 30 to 40 thousand miles would that cause the light to be on or what totally lost even tried those fuel injector cleaners prior to changing these parts HELPPPPPPPPPPPP if you are a hyundai mech please email me if you went this route with yours or know anything to will help please email me thanks
ps this is why ive gone crazy lol

Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by gone crazy
i got a 07 accent the engine light has been on the code test said three things 1- fuel pump ( fixed costed 189.00 still light is on) 2- the fuel pressure regulator ( fixed 40.00 still light is on ) 3- oxygen sensor ( fixed )
NO, the code test did not tell you those three things..... the scan should have given you codes that start with "P", then followed by 4 digits... what were the codes --> "P-xxxx", "P-xxxx" ..... x= a digit...

and the light is still on the fuel lines and tank fuel air filter and gas strainer is good . after replacing each of the parts the light would go off for a few min or untill we take the gas cap off which was replaced as well then it came right back on and it acts like its out of gas when we put gas in it
the code today when i had it redone said either the oxygen sensor or the fuel is running rich. now what does that mean and how do i fix it? and i was just told like 5 min ago that it was to have a tune up spark plugs changed at 30 to 40 thousand miles would that cause the light to be on or what totally lost even tried those fuel injector cleaners prior to changing these parts HELPPPPPPPPPPPP if you are a hyundai mech please email me if you went this route with yours or know anything to will help please email me thanks
ps this is why ive gone crazy lol
Sounds like you have totally made a mess out of something that might could have been repaired in 20 minutes... Sounds like a mess now...

BTW -- What were the codes found during the scan -- NO GUESSING, need the actual P-xxxx as found in the PCM

Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by sbr711
Sounds like you have totally made a mess out of something that might could have been repaired in 20 minutes... Sounds like a mess now...

BTW -- What were the codes found during the scan -- NO GUESSING, need the actual P-xxxx as found in the PCM
the two codes was p0134 and p0451 then listed them parts

Last edited by gone crazy; 08-18-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: now it the code after replacing all them parts is p0134 saying the fuel system is running very rich or lean/ engine misfire?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by gone crazy
the two codes was p0134 --

The heated oxygen sensors are mounted on the front side and the rear sied of Catalytic Converter (warm-up catalytic converter), which detects the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gas. The front HO2S signal is used to control air/fuel ratio (closed loop fuel control) and the rear HO2S signal is used to monitor front HO2S and catalyst for proper operation. The heated oxygen snesor (HO2S) produces a voltage that varies between 0V and 1V. When the air/fuel ratio is lean, the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gas increases and the front HO2S outputs a low voltage (approximately 0 ~ 0.1 V).

When the air/fuel ratio is rich, the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gas decreases and the front HO2S output a high voltage (approximately 0.8 ~ 1 V). The ECM constantly monitors the HO2S and increases or decreases the fuel injection duration by using the HO2S signal, which is called closed-loop fuel control operation.

DTC Description

If the signal output satisfies the threshold value under enable conditions, ECM sets DTC P0134.

( This DTC might be caused by the malfunction of Heater circuit, so, check the heater circuit first. )

.................................................. ..........................

and p0451 --

ACCENT(MC) >2007 > G 1.6 DOHC > Engine > Engine Control > P0451 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Range/Performance > General Information :

The evaporative emissions system prevents hydrocarbon (HC) vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere where they could form photochemical smog. The fuel tank pressure sensor is a component of the evaporative emission system.

The Tank Pressure Sensor converts fuel tank pressure to a proportional analog voltage signal which is read by the engine controller for evaluation during execution of the Evaporative System Diagnostic. The Tank Pressure may be below atmospheric pressure (ie. a vacuum) or above atmospheric pressure.

The fuel tank pressure is used to measure the difference between the air pressure (or vacuum) in the fuel tank and the ambient air pressure (testing to verify integrity of EVAP... GOV says we cannot emit fuel vapors, such as leave fuel cap off and open to atmosphere).

PCM supplies a 5-volt reference and a ground to the sensor, which allows the sensor’s output voltage to range from 0.1 to 4.9 volts.

DTC Description
If PCM detects the abnormal signal input of FTPS, PCM sets DTC P0451.

then listed them parts
How much was that fuel pump and pressure regulator ?

How about this for the 0451....... a PCM reflash for a load of codes ---> #179 : 07~09MY MC 1.6 ECM UPDATE

DESCRIPTION:
This bulletin provides the procedure to update the Engine Control Modules (ECM) of
some 2007-2009 ACCENT (MC) vehicles which may experience the following
conditions.

• 2007-2008 ACCENT

DTC P0128 (Coolant Thermostat - Coolant Temp. Below Thermostat
Regulating Temperature)

• 2007-2009 ACCENT with either of:

• DTC P0140 (Bank1 Sensor 2 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected)
• DTC P0442 (Evaporative Emission System - Small Leak detected)
DTC P0451 (Evap Pressure Sensor - Range/Performance)
• DTC P0461 (Fuel Level Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance)
NOTE:
There are no vehicle performance issues associated with these issues.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES:
• Model: 2007-2009 Accent (MC) vehicles

Last edited by sbr711; 08-18-2010 at 11:38 AM.