Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Dome light won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Default Dome light won't turn off

Hi everybody.....first-timer here...I went quite a ways back in the archives hoping to find this one already posted, but if it was there I missed it...My dome light will not fade out on my '06 Sonata after the car doors have been closed...any ideas what the problem could be?...Thanks!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Default RE: Dome light won't turn off

This dome light has two switches (or at least my 08 Sonata dome light is so configured). Make sure no one has accidentally bumped the second switch marked "on". It simply turns the dome light on all the time. Yes, this swtich in the dome light could be bad, but I would also check all the door switches. If the one of them has shorted out (check the rubber coverings for cracks or breaks), the car will think that door is open leaving the dome light on.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

^^ Exactly. The dome light should have a 3-way switch that is marked as ON, DOOR or OFF. You want the switch in the DOOR position. That turns the light on when the doors are opened and of when closed. OFF never turns the light on and ON has it on constantly. That's where I would check first.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys....I noticed last night that if I held the switch 'in' (up)on the 'door' buttonthat the light would fade out, otherwise just putting the switch in the 'door' position (up)and leaving it wouldresult inthe light staying on, which leads me to the obvious conclusion that the problem is in fact in the dome light switch itself, like it's not making contact unless there's pressure applied to it.....hopefully that's something I can change out myself. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what it entails..Of course I imagine Hyundai will want a small fortune just for the switch!

Thanks again!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

It should still be under warranty. Let Hyundai replace it for free.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:11 PM

I think I'm out of luck there, NR...I'm actually the 3rd owner of the car.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:42 PM

If the car has less than 60,000 miles on the odometer, you still have the benefit of the 5 yr, 60K bumper-to-bumper warrenty. It transfers to subsequent owners.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, the second, third, etc owners get a 5y/60K mile warranty. Since it's less than 5 years old, as long as it has less than 60K miles, it's covered.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 PM

Excellent!...thanks a lot, folks....much appreciated.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Default 2012 Hyundai Sonata with a Bad Dome Light

I just received a call from the Service Department, who informed me I need a full dome light replacement. Estimated cost $200 and they would have to order the part. (I'm past my 5 year, 60K warranty.) No thanks. I'll leave the switch to the "off" position. To agree with what was originally posted, my dome light would stay ON for all of eternity if the switch was either in the ON or DOOR position. Boo. Side note: My car is also in for its routine oil change AND because my steering coupler is bad, which is making my steering column shake and feel loose. Another $220 replacement cost, not covered under the powertrain warranty I still have remaining. Oye. Love the car, but DANG.

Quick Reply: Dome light won't turn off