General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Helpless Female Here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Default Helpless Female Here!

I hope someone here can advise me. I have a 2003 Getz, 79,500 kms. Last week determined leak in coolant (nothing left in reservoir). Garage replaced a pipe/hose with leak in it. 4 days "normal", then noticed temperature gauge stays on C for 12 km drive at 80-90 kph. Only changed on stopping at red light. On previous 12 km drive a few hours earlier, gauge did go to mid-level, then I watched it drop halfway back before remaining steady there. Have I explained myself decently? I think engine running high tho' they didn't seem to do anything about it when I mentioned at garage. Many thanks for any input.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Default RE: Helpless Female Here!

Could be your thermostat that is sticking and may need to be replaced. The thermostat if not working properly will make the engine run hotter. Hope this helps!!!
Good Luck!!
Brant

Old 12-18-2005, 03:28 AM

the thermmostat may also explain why it is running cold on the highway. it might be stuck open and letting coolant in when it is not needed. its a cheap fix so i would try it. you can even throw the thermostat in some boiling water 180 i think and watch it open or not

Old 12-27-2005, 11:28 AM

assuming they removed the thermostat which was functioning normally before the repair , and assuming they used the same one when they put it back together when the made the repair, it is possible that it was put in backwards or left out completely.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Administrator

it seems odd to me that the car wont warm up..it sounds like something wasnt done properly...i would take it back to where it was repaired. if they replaced the upper hose, that is where the thermostat is, and they might have forgetten to put it in..this is unlikley, but possible.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:47 AM

just iterested, does it leak coolant when u stop or make a bubbleing or hissing sound if so, and if they drained ur radiator out and flushed it and or replaced the coolant it could be an air lock in ur motor causing the changes in temp

Old 02-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Ahh, that is a very good point.