General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Last-minute warranty repairs - dealer pushback?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Default Last-minute warranty repairs - dealer pushback?

Hey all, new member here and I'm glad this forum exists. We're going to be getting another Hyundai (Elantra Touring) as soon as we can scrape together the cash, so it's good to know there's an enthusiast's place to be.

But for now, I have to keep the 2001 Accent running, and it's at 98,600 miles. And it's developing a shakiness off the line from the transmission, as well as a top-end ticking.

We had warranty work done at around 60k miles, on the lifters - basically got a new top end to the motor. Pretty sure the GF had the tranny serviced before that at a dealer as well.

Aside from that, we've been using neighborhood shops and oil change places for the maintenance. Is there going to be a pushback from the dealer on covering the trans/motor in this situation?

Any advice appreciated.

Allen

Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

As long as you have receipts for the services they can't legally give you trouble. However, I would get it into the dealer ASAP. You want to get those problems corrected or at least on the record before you reach 100K. You want the problems on the record as having started within the warranty period, even if the dealer isn't able to correct them before the warranty is over.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM

We don't have receipts for everything, maybe 70%.

The dealership we used for the lifters didn't bother asking for any documentation, really friendly folks. But they ended up closing the branch near our house and now their only shop is about 70 miles away. We live on the north side of Chicago, so there are a half-dozen dealers within striking distance, so I don't know if I wanna drive down to Calumet City for this.

Can I assume that as the owner gets closer to the end of the warranty period, the likelihood the dealer will insist on all the paperwork and receipts will increase?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hard to say. It depends on the dealer.