General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My reliable Hyundai did what?? You want another $1,000?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Unhappy My reliable Hyundai did what?? You want another $1,000?

Hello!

I need some expert advice. Yesterday I had my very reliable hyundai sonata serviced for general wear and tear. I had a tune up, both front hubs replaced and some electrical work for the clock and lighter. In nine years, I have NEVER had a break down. On the way home from the mechanic, there was a loud sputtering noise. I took it right back to them...and was told the harmonic balancer cap had slipped off and caused $1,000 in damage. Not once in nine years but directly after a tune up...?! Can this be a coincidence? What do you think?

Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 PM

Most likely an unfortunate coincidence. I've had to deal with this very issue before, on an old Oldsmobile I used to own. Unfortunately, the rubber insulator ring that holds the outer steel ring onto the inner hub can weaken and delaminate over time. Makes one hell of a racket when it lets go, too. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, however this is the joy of owning an older vehicle... They tend to become more prone to failure as time goes on and the materials and components they're built from break down. I'd be curious to know what the "$1000 damage" entailed? That seems pretty steep just to replace a harmonic balancer, unless other components were damaged.

Regards,
Shea

Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by robinl
....... there was a loud sputtering noise. I took it right back to them...and was told the harmonic balancer cap had slipped off and caused $1,000 in damage. Not once in nine years but directly after a tune up...?! Can this be a coincidence?:
My trusted mechanic has worked on my cars (as old as 30 years of age) for 15 years. Yes, I have taken my cars back to him to correct some minor fault in his repairs, but extra repairs have never been big AND he never charged me for the extra work. You need a mechanic as good & honest as my mechanic.