General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

petrol fumes, santa fe

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Default petrol fumes, santa fe

I recently had my santa fe serviced during which the fuel filter was changed. since the service I have experienced petrol fumes in the cabin, despite several attempts by the dealer to rectify this problem it still persists, i have returned the vehicle 6 times now. Any Ideas? Also, as the motor warms up it feels like it runs rough, almost like starving for fuel, when the problem originally occured the enging warning light also came on.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: petrol fumes, santa fe

Find another dealer that knows what they are doing. THe one you are using doesn't seem to have a clue.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 AM

looks like the dealer doesnt know what he's doing, and it also looks like the dealer is replacing defective filters in your car, no wonder the car is having problems...

Old 12-11-2008, 03:47 PM

ok, first things first. when you say you had the vehicle in for service, the fuel filter was replaced. since that replacement, however, you have had fumes from the gasoline in the cabin of the vehicle?? if that is the case, then i think there is something amiss with the fuel line, check for leaks and discoloration along the fuel line.

if, however, you brought the vehicle in because something was amiss already (ergo your statement at the end about the 'initial' problem and check engine light on), then replacing the fuel filter would not necessarily 'fix' the problem. what else was done to the vehicle, and are you positive it is 'fuel' you are smelling and not an overworked catalytic convertor trying to keep the emissions down?? (hint: this would smell like rotten eggs, very sulphury)

if the latter is the case, then look for excessive fuel getting into the engine that is out of the control of the pcm (hint: look at the fuel pressure regulator, or evap purge control valve/evap system malfunction).

if there is no sulphur odor related to the cat working itself to death, then i suggest the basics be checked. look for vacuum leaks, arcing wires and/or boots, worn plugs, and such.

also, is the check engine light on?? if so, what code(s) are present?? (if odb2, have the freeze frame data given to you as well. this is most helpful in diagnostics)

hope this helps.

df