General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis

Old 08-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Default Repairing other cars.

I have arthritis and fibromyalgia, so it is also difficult for me to repair cars. I repair my own cars so that we have the money for our kids to attend college. I wish I could help.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:58 PM

Good news everyone. Aftermarket parts are now available for the fuel vapor system!! The fuel vapor leak detector pump on my 2002 Hyundai Accent was diagnosed as defective by a mechanic, and he said that the part would be about $740 because it is a dealer item. I bought one made by Dorman (Part # 310601) from RockAuto.com for $72.89. Dorman also has the charcoal canister with a felt filter for $105. The factory one has that foam filter that dissolves in gasoline.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:47 PM

The killer for a 2009 carbon filter is I have never found out how to remove it. I think the gas straps have to be loosened and the tank dropped a bit to get the filter out of its strap above the gas tank. I also think the line to the gas tank from the filter has to be removed at the sensor switch on top of the tank, accessible via a removable plate behind the passenger side back seat. But to do this and I am working from memory, it needs the sending switch removed to relieve tank pressure (requires another tool). Otherwise the sending switch assembly can rocket off. I have been fortunate that the carbon filter has maintained its integrity.

So anyone have the definitive word on how to remove the carbon filter from above the tank in a 2009 Sonata?

Old 04-02-2017, 01:29 PM

We have a 2003 Sonata and a 2002 Accent, plus I have crawled under a lot of different Hyundai cars in wrecking yards trying to find a good charcoal canister. They have always been located between the gas filler tube and the rear bumper in a plastic box. You have to remove a plastic cover/inner fender to find it.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Default A Simple Solution

My 2012 Genesis would only allow fueling for 4 to 10 seconds before clicking off. My solution for our California fuel pumps was to turn the filler nozzle 180 degrees upside down . Fills just fine now.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Default Quick shut off gas fill

The solution on the Genesis is creative, but shows that Hyundai needs to correct the problems. Good news everyone, RockAuto.com has charcoal canisters that are reasonably priced, and instead of using that foam divider, they used felt. Gasoline will not dissolve it. It only cost $70 for the canister for our Accent.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Default Alternative fix - still had problems after canister change

First of all thank you everyone on this thread for the help in getting to the bottom of this problem with a 2003 Elantra.

I did check out the canister and as expected it was damaged and there were lots of pellets in the line coming from the fuel tank to the canister. I found the replacement canister (aftermarket) at a decent price locally and changed it out thinking that would be the end of it. Unfortunately, the car would still not take fuel properly so I had to dig a bit deeper.

With the help of this thread I decided to check out the flow from the filler neck to the canister and in the process hoped to figure out if the shut off valve in the tank was acting up. To do this I took the 'from tank' line off the canister and used a Shop-Vac on exhaust at the filler neck to pressurize the tank. It worked well and this process did force quite a few more pellets out of the system that I would not have been able to get to without dropping the tank and removing lines that way.

I read about pressurizing the system on some diesel forums where people use this method to get fuel flowing after running out of fuel or if someone put gasoline in by accident and they needed to 'flush' the systems. I thought it worth a shot and since it was only a shop-vac it did not generate an extreme amount of pressure in the system. Just enough to force the remaining pellets out for me.

I figured I'd share this with the group since this post was so helpful to me along the way.

Thanks again everyone......

Old 07-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Default Great idea!

I like the idea of the shop vac. I was also thinking that there are small vac tools available for cleaning computers, including a small nozzle that might be a good size to blow out the various lines. Once I got our Accent filling at a reasonable rate, I then checked the air filter to the vapor system, and it was plugged. It is a terrible design, there is a small piece of filter paper to the outside air, then 2 others that are progressively larger. Backwards!! I had cut it open with a reciprocating saw, so I removed the filter paper, and put dacron fibre fill in the housing. I used silicon sealant to glue it back together, reinstalled it, and it now fills without any problem. I checked the dacron (it is used in upholstery and quilting) with some gasoline, and it does not dissolve in gas.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by GaryL
I like the idea of the shop vac. I was also thinking that there are small vac tools available for cleaning computers, including a small nozzle that might be a good size to blow out the various lines. Once I got our Accent filling at a reasonable rate, I then checked the air filter to the vapor system, and it was plugged. It is a terrible design, there is a small piece of filter paper to the outside air, then 2 others that are progressively larger. Backwards!! I had cut it open with a reciprocating saw, so I removed the filter paper, and put dacron fibre fill in the housing. I used silicon sealant to glue it back together, reinstalled it, and it now fills without any problem. I checked the dacron (it is used in upholstery and quilting) with some gasoline, and it does not dissolve in gas.
When I used the shop-vac to blow down the filler neck I used an attachment that I also use to blow out the lines on my pool when winterizing it. It's a cone shaped attachment that tapered well and just about fit perfectly in the filler neck. I also wrapped an old tee shirt around it so that I was not blowing any debris into the tank.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Hi, Thanks so much for this post. I have a 2012 Hyundai Genesis with the same problem. I found the Evap Charcoal canister along with the Purge Valve bundled together for sale on Ebay and installed. This fixed it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis