General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Default How long till you can fill normally?

Hi everyone, this discussion seems to have (partially) fixed my problem, so really thank you very much! It was taking me about 30 minutes to fill up my tiny 12 gallon tank, it also removed the CEL error code:P0442 & after the fix P1128 from disconnect the air sensor. Anyway, I was wondering from anyone who has replaced their charcoal canister, how long does it take to fill up your fuel tank normally again? Although the codes are gone now, it still seems to take forever. I didn't do anything besides literally disconnect the old, and attach the new. Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Default New Hyundai Fuel Filler System

The slow filling problem I had with my new Hyundai i30 petrol car was caused by the non standard nozzles on the pumps at my local Sainsburys filling station. Petrol nozzles should be 21mm in diameter at the end & since 1 Jan 2010 all stations dispensing 1.25 million litres of petrol or more per year should meet stage 2 vapour recovery requirements.
The end of the nozzle passes through what is actually a 22mm dia hole at the bottom of the upper filler tube & pushes the flap valve open. The outer tube of the pump nozzle then fits in the upper filler tube & petrol fumes are withdrawn via the holes in the side of the upper filler tube.
The Hyundai dealer uses this filling station but was unaware of the cause of the problem.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks Terry, I'm located in the US, so I don't think it's the nozzles. What I did for the repair was I disconnected the three hoses of the charcoal canister, which then released all of the charcoal from the hose out and reattached the hoses to the canister. Before the change I had error code P0442 and after I changed I had both error code P0442 & P1128. I cleared them and they've never returned (been driving for a week now). However, immediately after I changed the canister, I filled up and had to do it slowly like before I replaced the canister and just yesterday I tried again and ended up only putting 1 gallon in because it was slow still.

So my main question is, how long did it take for others who have replaced the canister until it seems to fill normally again? IF it's an immediate thing, then I'm worried maybe it's the 4way valve or something.... also for those who changed the canister, did they also change the air sensor or whatever the smaller box is attached the the charcoal canister is?

Again, thanks a tremendous amount!!!

UPDATE: P0442 COL is back. I guess I'll be diagnosing it more this weekend.

Last edited by anon44; 04-06-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Default General Diagnostics, slow fill problem

When diagnosing the slow fuel fill problem, do I have to drop the whole fuel tank, or can I get to the components ( separators, canisters ) from below the car?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 PM

ritchep, you can have access to the canister without dropping the gas tank. the charcoal canister is the black box with two (I think) hoses going into it. It's located near the rear drivers side tire. There are two bolts to drop it.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks so much for the information! I drive a 2002 XG350L and it has been difficult to fuel for the last four fill-ups. My mechanic removed the tank, diagnosed the issue as a clogged charcoal canister, charged me $500 and declared it fixed. It's not fixed, the problem is now worse. I have printed out your info and will present my mechanic with my automobile and your advice as soon as possible! Thanks again!

Last edited by NovaResource; 10-03-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Default i30 filler problem resolved

I believe that around that time all filling stations were required to meet the vapour recovery requirements & that particular station had not had all the modifications carried out. In the UK all petrol pump filling nozzles are now of a diameter which allows them to pass through the i30 flap valve opening as intended. A few weeks after my initial problem I filled the tank at another Sainsbury's filling station with no problems at all.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Exclamation Purge Control Valve replacement, How to do it yourself?

Hey All,

2001 Sonata GLS V6

The car has problems starting only right after putting gas in it.

I want to replace the Purge Control Valve myself, but I have little mechanic skills. I registered on HMAService but cannot find any instructions.

Does anyone have an directions on how to replace this yourself, and where it is located under the hood?

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thread merged.

Read above.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 PM

Thanks, one more question:

Is the 01 Valve a straight or elbow? That is what the person at Oreileys asked

Quick Reply: Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis