General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Default Skeeter! A quick update!

Sorry, I typed right when I meant LEFT, at least on our cars. Let me make it simple, it is on the same side as the gas filler. I'm sorry for any problem. Good Luck with the repairs!!!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:41 AM
Default slow fuel

Hey no problem. Thanks for the reply. I figured that's what you meant.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Default Best wishes.

Great Skeeter. Let us know how it turns out. I think that Hyundai should recall their cars for this, and the more people who get together on this, the more likely it is to happen.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 AM

Ichi - good news; problem fixed. You were right. When I removed the rubber hose from the fuel tanks filler neck I was able to see right into the tank. There was nothing stopping the fuel from coming back out. My mechanic did not think to look in the old tank for this part. I called the dealer and got the part. I forgot to take a pic in my excitement however can describe it: 5-6 inches and fits into the fuel tanks filler neck like a sleeve. Just slides in. No bolts/screws. The part number is: 3115522900 - valve-fuel cut. Image of part bag attached. $9.99. Dealer part.

Went to the gas station, filled up and NO spit back

Attached is the fuel tank schematic. The part in question is 31155A and 31161B. This comes as one part.

Remember, when having a NEW fuel tank installed make sure to transfer the fuel cut valve from your old tank to the new one!!!

Hope this is useful for others.

James

Attached Thumbnails Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis-hyundai-fuel-cut-off-valve.jpg   Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis-hyundai-fuel-tank-schematic.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 09:04 AM

Thanks for all of the posts.
I am a college student graduating in May. My '09 Sonata has the exact same problems that are listed here. I have read many of the posts, and unfortunately it makes me realize how unfamiliar with car repairs I am. I have none of the tools that are listed, nor do I know how I would even go about getting under my car to do the work if I had them.
What is my best course of action to fix the problem? Should I find a way to do it myself, or is it worth it to take it to a mechanic and have him do it for me? Also, what will it end up costing me if I do it each way (assuming I have to replace the canister itself).
Thanks all, this thread has been super helpful!

Old 04-19-2015, 12:59 AM

I think that it is a real shame that high schools are discontinuing classes such as auto shop. I graduated high school in 1972, and had taken auto shop classes there. When I was going to college, I took auto shop classes when I needed to do some major repairs to my car (it was a Studebaker) and I got elective credit for the class. Oh well. It was a pretty big job in my Accent. I had to remove the gas tank to get to the tank vent so that I could clean it out. Even with the experience I have had, I broke part of the fuel pump and had to replace it. I have been using a mechanic who owns a garage for the jobs that I don't have the tools for, or is just so big that I don't want to do it. Hey, I'm 61!! One idea is to find someone who repairs their own cars and have them mentor you on it and you will learn about the process. I always encourage people to work on things. A new canister for my Accent is $185 at the local dealer to give you an idea of the parts cost. I would guess at 2 hours+ labor for whatever the local labor rate is. I have also seen mobile mechanics that charge less per hour and repair the vehicle at your place. A friend of mine does that, and he is ASE certified along with being licensed. Best of luck to you. I think that Hyundai should recall the cars for the canister, but I guess that means every Hyundai that is on the road.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:20 PM

images in post #6 no longer available. Fixing to start troubleshooting very slow fill on a 2002 Elantra GLS

Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM

Thank you guys for the info on how to fix this annoying problem. Particularly BobQhy. Thanks so much.

I have a 2002 Sonata with the 4 cyl. 2.4 engine. I never did have a check engine light appear and therefore no code. It just would not fill up with gas - as explained countless times before.

I was hoping for an easy fix. Replaced the Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid first and checked to make sure it was receiving power. It was and this did not fix the problem.

Next, replaced the Vapor Canister. The old one had failed and the pellets were leaking from the "To Neck" opening. I took off the hose from that opening and there were some pellets in the line. I tried vacuuming the line to get more pellets out, but with not much success. I went to the filling station, but still wasn't working correctly.

I tried BobQhy's solution as posted here: https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/g...ge5/#post47096.

If I was more of a mechanic it would probably been better to just drop the fuel tank to access the Fuel Vent Valve that way. I made a mess cutting a hole in the trunk, but it works now. There were pellets in the Fuel Vent Valve that were preventing it from operating correctly. Now, I just have to clean up my mess and cover the hole that was made in the trunk.

Couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks again.

Last edited by rkfeland; 07-13-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:58 AM

Glad that worked for you. BTW when I mentioned that dropping the Sonata fuel tank was a pain, I should have said it was a giant huge pain in the but. The nuts attaching the tank straps were recessed and I could only get a 1/4 turn twixt repositioning the wrench. 2 inches of threads on each and no way to fit a ratchet in there.
ALSO, did you use the nibbler I suggested and how well did it work for you?

Old 07-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by BobQhy
Glad that worked for you. BTW when I mentioned that dropping the Sonata fuel tank was a pain, I should have said it was a giant huge pain in the but. The nuts attaching the tank straps were recessed and I could only get a 1/4 turn twixt repositioning the wrench. 2 inches of threads on each and no way to fit a ratchet in there.
ALSO, did you use the nibbler I suggested and how well did it work for you?
I couldn't find the the tool you suggested. It's probably an old product number. I bought some Stanley Fatmax right cut Aviation snips from Lowe's. They worked okay. The trunk is double layered near that valve and I could not cut through that. It was good enough though.

Quick Reply: Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis