General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing belt balance shaft alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Default Timing belt balance shaft alignment question

I have a 2004 Sonata with the 2.4L 4-cyl engine.
I'm replacing the timing and balance shaft belts.

The alldata.com documentation I have shows how to align the timing marks for the belts - that's fine.

My question is: I thought I once read about a special procedure to align the balance shaft belt. Is there some procedure where the shaft must be rotated several turns before stopping at an alignment mark?

Can someone confirm that if I just get all the timing marks aligned then that's sufficient?

Thank you.
Joe

Old 01-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Timing belt balance shaft alignment question

The procedure you need is detailed here:
http://www.hmaservice.com/

Signing up is free.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the pointer to the Hyundai website/docs. I did read through it and feel pretty confident that only the timing marks need to be aligned (IE, there is no need to rotate the oil pump balance shaft three times).

The graphics on the
www.hmaservice.com/ seemed pretty poor. Not sure why.

Joe

Old 01-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the pointer to the Hyundai website/docs. I did read through it and feel pretty confident that only the timing marks need to be aligned (IE, there is no need to rotate the oil pump balance shaft three times).
I'm not sure where the need to rotate the balance shafts 3 times came from. Anytime you are working on the timing belt or chain of an engine it is a standard practice to rotate the crankshaft two full rotations by hand after all timing marks are set. The camshaft(s) rotate at 1/2 the speed of the crank, so it takes two crankshaft rotations to bring all marks back to origin. Double or even triple checking the timing is important on an interference engine that will tear itself apart if the timing is off when started.

The graphics on the www.hmaservice.com/ seemed pretty poor. Not sure why.
I am guessing HMA wasn't thinking about the web at the time the graphics were made. The graphics are better for more recent model years.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks all for the help. I successfully changed the belt. It wasn't difficult once I got in there and could see all the marks that needed aligning.

I think I now know the source of my original confusion (ie the need to rotate the oil pump shaft a few turns). Once I had the two new belts installed, I manually rotated the engine to make sure everything was fine, and it did require the oil pump shaft to make multiple revolutions before all the timing marks for both belts aligned again.

This board is a valuable resource for help. Thanks.

Joe