Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Traction Control System does nothing

Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Unhappy Traction Control System does nothing

2010 Tucson w/front wheel drive.

In the snow, only one wheel spins, like on an open differential.
(It's not my car and it's always been horrible in snow...I'm guessing this is why.)

The TCS light blinks, but that one wheel just spins and spins, never slowing.

Is this a common problem with a known fix?

Old 03-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

I don't believe that Tucson has traction control (TCS). I believe it has Electronic Stability Control (ESC). Please check the letter of that light again. ESC isn't traction control, it is a safety feature that detects and prevents (or recovers from) skids while driving. ESC can help keep the driver from losing control of the car in a panic swerve or when driving on slippery roads. The light flashing just means the system is detecting the wheels are spinning at a different speed. It is trying to cut power but it won't help you get unstuck from snow.

And as a long time driver in snow conditions, the car is not always at fault. It can only do so much. Driver and tires are more usually to blame. Don't treat the Tucson like it's a 4x4 Jeep, it's not. It's nothing more that a slightly jacked up Elantra station wagon. Treat it like a low driving Elantra and you'll do better. Also, you need traction to move. While all-seasons tires are OK, they are a comprise at best. They need to do both summer and winter driving and to do that they can only be mediocre at either job. If you drive in snow a lot where you live, then I would suggest dedicated winter tires. My wife used to think I was crazy for having 2 sets of tires for my 2006 Tucson. That was until I purchased a set of winter tires for her 2008 Kia Rondo this winter. The first snow she drove in she couldn't believe how much of a difference they made.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info Nova.

The car in question is my mothers so I don't have access to it at the moment, but it does have Traction Control, unless the dealers lied.
It's the worst car I've ever seen in snow. Which is weird because most reviews say it's pretty good.

Her last car was actually an Elantra wagon, with no TCS/ESC/ABS and an open differential. It was bad in snow but nothing like this Tucson...When I say the Tucson is the worst I've ever seen, I'm including the light pickup truck I used to drive which had rear wheel drive and an open differential.

It boggles the mind how little traction this Tucson has in snow. It can't even get DOWN a steep driveway...Literally.
I joined this forum just to ask this question, because it couldn't get enough traction to go down her driveway with 3 inches of snow on it. Eventually both wheels started spinning. So I was able work my way down to pavement and get it moving, (with the help of sand, salt, and traction mats).

Old 03-12-2015, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

I believe the dealer was incorrect you you mom misunderstood. I don't believe the Tucson has traction control.

And like I said before, don't be too quick to blame the car. My Tucson is excellent in the snow. My guess is it has poor tires that aren't rated very good in the snow. A vehicle is only as good as its tires. What tires are on the car?