General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vibration noise at 40mph in my Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:51 AM
bw3
Default Vibration noise at 40mph in my Santa Fe

I have a 2002 Santa Fe with 96700 miles on it and lately (last K or so) I've been getting a very noticeable rumble/vibration coming from the rear end area at about 40 mph. It almost seems like I'm riding over some small rumble strips in the road.
Dealer(s) have done wheel balance, (Radial force balance), tire rotation, 4 wheel alignment, oil seal, ball joints and nothing has worked to date.
The rumble does not happen all the time. I can not get it to occur every time it is driven so it has became a problem locating. The 2 dealers I've taken it to have not had any luck locating it.

The first dealer, 12 miles away had it 3 days and said they solved it when they got a vibration at 65 mph (after I told them it only happens at 40 mph), did a tire balance with bad front lower ball joints and gave it back. They also put a rear pinion seal in. No difference. duh
After I found (next day) the front ball joints were bad (1/4" wiggle) I lost my confidence in this dealer.

Second dealer, 50 miles away (where I bought it) had it 2 days... done their thing, alignment, radial force balance, ball joints (all out of my pocket) and no difference.
There may be an improvement, but both my son and wife still complain about the on/off vibration coming from the rear... sometimes strong enough to knock my Sirius radio on my dash loose . The radial force balance made the front end wobble so bad at 60 mph I had to go to my local Conrad's for another 4 wheel balance so I could drive it without shaking the front end apart. No noticeable vibration now... but the rumble persists.
Any ideas from other owners with similar problem?
Please don't post: balance, rotation, tires (they're new integra's), or 4 wheel alignment as this has been done.
My warranty runs out in 3200 miles although most has been paid by me so far.
Thanks for any help