General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

whining noise, can't diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Default whining noise, can't diagnose

I have a 2002 Santa Fe and, as usual, with a "noise" it fails to replicate when I am at the shop. It starts after the engine has warmed up about 30 minutes and only does it every so often. When it is making this noise, it is some what resistant when turning. If I let it idle for a while, or kill the engine for a couple of minutes it stops. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the diagnosis???

Old 05-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Default RE: whining noise, can't diagnose

I don't have a Santa Fe nor have I experienced your problem with my Hyundai, but to me it sounds like you have a power steering issue. The whining and resisting turns sounds to me like your power steering gearbox is starving for fluid for some reason. Check for any leaking red or light brown fluid comming from the left side of the vehicle under the hood. Also check your belt to make sure that it's not loose or slipping. I hope this helps you on your way to getting the problem taken care of. I know it's minimal and vague, but I'm no expert. Just trying to give you somewhere to go from.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:55 PM

We have a fix for the (hissing noise) hard to turn at times. Simply we completely flush the power steering system. If the vehicle is under 60k miles and you are the original owner it may be a warranty repair.We simply flush about 5 qts of hyundai sp3 through the steering system while turning the wheel to make sure we get all the burned fluid out. The old fluid will cause valves in the rack and pinion to not function properly. I have done several of these with geat results.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:23 AM

mydartswinger and hyundaitech were right. It was a power steering issue and the flush resolved the problem. Always start with the least expensive solution and be careful of people who want to start from the other end of the spectrum as I was almost talked into replacing the power steering pump and the rack and pinion by and independant shop.............