Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

1998 Accent 1300 - Carb Settings

Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Default 1998 Accent 1300 - Carb Settings

Hi All,
I have a 1998 Accent 1300 which has now completed 266,000km with very little trouble. It has started to smoke a little and the spark plugs are carboning up pretty quickly resulting in a very "jerky" ride. I realise that the smoking is contributing to this but the plugs are not oiled up... just black sooty carbon which comes off pretty quick and the car performs well.. for about a week .

Reading up on spark plug conditions appears to indicate a rich mixture rather than the smoking.
I am attempting to adjust the carb settings but cannot find anything to help in terms of which screw is the air-flow and which is the fuel flow and how much they should each be turned in or out..
Is there anyone out there that has a schematic of this particular models carb and any advice on how to effect this type of tune up?
Best regards

Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 AM

Your problem is oil,consumption. Engine is burning oil. 1.5 liter engines are notorious for this. Most of the issues I have found are worn valve guides and hardened seals. Sometimes you can get away with just replacing the seals, but with your current mileage I'm sure your guides are worn out. The cylinder head would have to removed and sent to a machine shop for guide replacement

Old 11-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Thanks but this has happened after my valves issues which is why i chose to overhaul at 287 000kms. I have sorted the oil and valve issue out. Have done all that you mentioned re engineered the heads and stuff.

I have identified the screws myself through searching for a new carb and found a diagram and part numbers and descriptions for each component that gave me an idea whats what.

I'll just leave it here for anyone else that maybe have the same question.

1) Left side of carb is trottle position screw.
2) In the rear middle There two screws one long with plastic head that heads to the governer is for engine speed adjustment. The other screw is short in the same line but below on the base of the carb. Thats the air / fuel mixture screw.
3) The coming over to the throttle body the is the carb speed adjust screw closed to the right side of the carb. These house two screws of idle speed. The idle throttle plate adjustment screw and the idle mixture screw.
4) Thereafter mounted to that also on the right side of the carb are two fast idle adjustment screws.
5) A lastly is a screw on the fixture where the trottle cable comes over and clips. That is also regarded an idle adjustment screw that pushed onto a plate that goes and adjusts the fast idle anyways.
And that about it! Hope this helps another person.

One questions I just need answered or rather maybe confirmation. When turning the air / mixture screw inwards (clockwise) I have heard that is adjusts the air and please confirm for me while you do that the fuel is being adjusted ?
Yes some cars have a seperate air screw and a different fuel screw. This one has one and calls itself air fuel mixture screw. Originally i had been two turns out. Am half a turn out now and I am idling fine and fuel usage has been better. plugs are not dry fouled or wet. Burning nice and clean and the revs are down not so much by adv or retard the dizzy but by adjusting the idle speed screws that where way way out and then fine adjustment on the fast idle screws. No more black smoke I guess that was due to the idle mixture too far out together with the idle throttle plate adjustment. Also the car warms up quicker now.