Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

1998 Hyundai Accent 1.3 L carb settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Default 1998 Hyundai Accent 1.3 L carb settings

I have a 1998 Hyundai Accent with a 1.3L carb engine. I had done 289 000 kms since new and had the engine overhauled. So thats taken car of. The only left is the carb. I am thinking of changing it out with a new however the agents have to import direct from Hyundai and the cost is very very high. Its also hard to source a good condition low mileage one nearby. The reason why i am looking to replace the car is the fact that my car fuel usage seems very high. I am sad about that due to the fact of spending lots of money to have it overhauled. I am geting 25km to 4 litres of petrol. I know the car is not new but was not heavy as this before I overhauled. Compared to cars new on the market today that give one 100kms / 4 L. Anything better than what i have would be great.

So before I start my major search for a new carb i would like to try and make some agjustments with the fuel on the carb. I have already tackled a high rev issue by adjusting the fast idle adjustment screw. So looking at a diagram of the carb which is the same in the hyundai excel there seems to be a remainder of 5 adjustment screws. There is an throttle adjustment screw, a mixture screw and then 3 screws that are identified as idle speed adjusting screws (SAS1, SAS2 and SAS3).

I am basically looking for anyone to tell me which screws to adjust and how to go about doing so. Just a note that the plugs are burning well and the car goes fine with no misfires. I think the problem is not in the running about with the car but rather when starting from cold it seems to rev quite high for a lenghty period until the warmed up mark on the dial is reached. As soon as I start when its cold exhaust fumes give me an indication that its burning rich and few puffs of black smoke shoot off now and again. However when warmed up all is fine. So i think half of my fuel is used by the car when starting cold and waiting for the engine to warm up. Any input is welcomed guys regarding the carb and what can be done. Should i adjust and if nothing get it serviced.