Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2000 Accent 1.5 Stalls when warm and won't start until cooled off

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Default 2000 Accent 1.5 Stalls when warm and won't start until cooled off

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I have joined to hopefully find a solution to a problem that a lot of people seem to be having.

We have a 2000 Accent that has about 130,000 miles on it and has run great since new. I commute about 80 miles a day round trip and this car has saved me a ton on fuel costs over my truck... until recently.

Last week on the way home about half way into my drive the engine stalled at speed as if someone turned off the key. It turned over but didn't start up right away. After pulling to the shoulder and sitting scratching my head for about 2 or 3 minutes it started back up and off I went. I didn't think all that much about it until it happened again about 10 minutes later. Now worried, I popped the hood and checked/reseated all of the connectors that I could see. I am no mechanic, but know a little about cars. I noticed that the negative terminal on the battery was a little loose. Without any tools on me I was able to pull it off and scrape the inside with a piece of metal to clean it off and jammed it on upside down so it had a good connection. I was pretty sure that was the problem since it started right back up and off I went once again. My relief was short lived as about 5 minutes later I was back on the shoulder of the road with the hood open. Now my sleeves rolled up I was once again reseating every connector I could find. I swapped out the fuel pump relay with another one of the same type for something else and it made no difference. If I pulled the battery cable off with the key on, I heard the fuel pump relay clicking. Also, once the car started I pulled the battery cable off of the battery and the car stayed running so I don't think the terminal had anything to do with the problem. Short version of the rest of the store is that it got worse and seemed to happen more frequently on my trip home, eventually happening ever 2 minutes. I stopped at a store on the way home and let the car sit for about 20 minutes to cool off and then it ran the entire rest of the way home. Next test drive in the car, same story. It started ok, and got progressively worse.

I have read many posts with these same exact symptoms. Some people got codes out of the computer, others got scanned without codes. Some people talk about possibly a crank position sensor, or cam sensor, but that doesn't seem to make sense in this scenario. I have also read about possibly a mass air flow sensor being the problem. That seems possible. None of these parts are cheap and on a car that isn't worth much I hate to put too much money into it. I also read a few posts about this possibly having something to do with a security system. Although this car did at one point have a security system, I am not sure if it is factory installed or after-market. This car was purchased by my family new, but not by me so I am not sure. I know that there is a small fuse panel to the left of the brake pedal on the left pillar that has a grey wire in it that looks like either an after market or dealer installed alarm that may have a kill switch that I have to investigate. Also some people mentioned a "main engine relay" (whatever that is) underneath somewhere by the steering column. Anyone have more info on this?

I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar problem and has been able to resolve it. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Default Update

Well last night I replaced the battery terminals and disabled the security system. I also topped off the fuel tank since it was almost empty when I was having the problems. This time the care made it maybe 2 miles before it stalled. I had all I could do to get it off the road and to a shop. I should know later today what the problem is and how much it will cost. I will post here for all those other people having similar problems. Wish me luck...

Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Default yup..

crank position sensor is bad or is covered with metal on magnet .... 12 bucks on ebay....d.i.y.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Default Fix

What was the problem? Having the same problem.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Richard A Cote
What was the problem? Having the same problem.
It was the crank sensor. It cost like $80 to fix.