Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

where is the coolant drain plug on the block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned
Default where is the coolant drain plug on the block?

still question (yet again) but i'm trying to figure out where the drain plug is on the engine block - not the one on the rad. its a '04 accent with the 1.6L dohc.

i bought an engine heater for the accent and its one of the types that is also a pump that circulates the coolant while it heats. the idea is to remove the engine drain plug, replace with a barb, hook that up to the pump inlet then on one of the heater core lines i have to simply make a cut and insert a Y fitting and the pump empties out in there. if anyone has other ideas if this isnt possible, i'm all ears. thanks guys!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned
Default RE: where is the coolant drain plug on the block?

32 views and nobody knows a single thing? this is sad guys. really sad.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

[align=left]Well, on my '99 Elantra there's a drain on the radiator near the lower coolant hose. Can't say on your Accent.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

its something at least, thanks for even just that. might just help.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: zero_gravity

32 views and nobody knows a single thing? this is sad guys. really sad.
What's more sad, that your question hasn't been answered or that you don't know either? Patience, it the holidays. Sorry your question wasn't answered the instant you posted it.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM

i'm trying to figure out where the drain plug is on the engine block
It may not have one. All automotive engines, particularly the smaller 4 cylinder engines, simply have one or more "frost plugs" that are easy enough to knock out if the block needs to be completely drained. Most block heater applications are designed to fit inside the block through one of the frost plug holes.

You can simply look for threaded plugs and unscrew them (with the engine off of course). If nothing or oil comes out, then you've opened up access to an oil galley. If coolant pours out, you have found what you are looking for. Messy and time consuming? Yes, but I cannot find any information referencing block drain plug locations on the HMA service site.

i bought an engine heater for the accent and its one of the types that is also a pump that circulates the coolant while it heats. the idea is to remove the engine drain plug, replace with a barb, hook that up to the pump inlet then on one of the heater core lines i have to simply make a cut and insert a Y fitting and the pump empties out in there. if anyone has other ideas if this isnt possible, i'm all ears.
Make sure the heater you purchased is the correct application for your Accent. The old style external tank heater (e.g. the red and silver KATS 850, 1000 or 1500) like you purchased can generate enough heat to warp or crack the plastic heater cores that have been commonly used in passsenger cars for the past 15 or so years. I see that some of these are now equiped with thermostats so that their maximum temperature is no more than the operating temperature of the engine and would likely be safe to use. Perhaps you have one of those, but unless the 2002 Accent is specifically listed as an application on the heaters instruction I would use something else that is designed for the car.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 AM

I dont think you will have one either! Only the petcock on the rad. The block probably has freeze plugs.