Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2001 Accent will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Default 2001 Accent will not start!

Hey All. I have a 2001 Accent, 54K miles (Sig needs updating) and automatic trans. Always runs beautifully.

In January, I was travelling, when I stopped somewhere and turned off the car. When I got back in the car 20 minutes later, it would not crank. I kept trying off and on for the next hour and it finally cranked. Car turned and turned like it was trying to crank, but not getting any spark or fuel.

Instance Number two: February - car would not crank after sitting for a day or so. It finally cranked after ten minutes. Same thing.

Instance Number Three: March - Got home this morning from a trip out of town this weekend and turned off the car. Got back in the car three hours later to head to work, car will not crank. It still will not crank. I have tried everything. It's storming bad so I can't get out to check for spark. But the battery is not even two years old, and the plugs and wires were replaced last month.

This is very frustrating. I am starting to feel that I can't trust the car. Someone suggested the Crank position sensor. How can I tell if this has gone bad and how do I replace it. Any other suggestions? My main problem right now is time wise, I'm very limited in what I can do. I just don't have enough hours to sit and wrestle with it.

I have checked the HMAservice site. Can't find anything about crankshaft position sensor.

I'm lucky that I have an older (and unfortunately...more reliable) car that the wife and I keep as a backup for situations such as this. I'm trying to avoid a tow to the dealer for repair, but I am tired of this car screwing with me.

Thanks!

Stephen

Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Default RE: 2001 Accent will not start!

While in the hmaservice site, select the 1.5 SOHC engine. Drill down:

Fuel System => Engine Control System => Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS) => Troubleshooting

Has a poor picture, but describes where it is located (look on the bell housing end of the engine). Explains diagnostics if you are handy with an ohmmeter. I think this is the same setup on a 1.6 DOHC engine. These are fairly easy to access and replace compared to other Hyundai engines that have the sensor buried under a timing cover.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Thanks. I have the 1.6L DOHC engine. How can I determine if it is the CPS that has failed. I don't want to throw a $50.00+ part at it only to have that not be the problem. I'm going to test for spark tomorrow. Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? I've heard people have had problems with those too.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 PM

If scroll down the window on the right side, there's a section that covers testing the sensor with an ohmmeter. On a good sensor, you should measure resistance of "0.486 ~ 0.594kΩ at 20°C (68°F)" between the two terminals. No fuel and no spark are symptomatic of a bad crank rotation sensor. If the ECM does not detect that the crank is turning when the starter engages, it will not activate either the fuel or ignition systems.

I've just re-read you first posting. If the starter itself is not turning, then you have another problem not related to the CKPS. So how did you finally get the car started for the 3 events you cite? When you mean "not cranking", is the starter motor turning but not engaging the flywheel or is the starter motor simply not respond when you turn the key?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:01 AM

I should have been clearer. Starter and battery are fine. The car turns and turns but will not actually fire. When I turn the key, the car just turns and turns but never actually cranks. After trying off and on for about 30 minutes, it fired. Symptoms are like it's not getting any fuel or spark.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM

Replace the crank rotation sensor.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 AM

Well I don't have time to fool with it until this weekend. That, and the weather has been miserable. Fortunately, we have a backup vehicle. This weekend, I'm borrowing an OBDII scanner and I'm going to check for codes first, before I start spending all this money on sensors. Does anyone know if the OBDII tells you exactly what the code means, or if it just gives a number that you have to reference somewhere else? Anyone have a link to OBDII codes for the 1.6L engine? Thanks.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 AM

OK, at the risk of sounding stupid, I'm going to ask.....

Is the Crank Rotation Sensor the same as the Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Bear with me, this is my first Hyundai and I'm totally new to the 1.6L engine. I've driven an old Chrysler with a 2.5L 4Cyl for the last 7 years (my backup car) and it's quite different than this engine.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM

Is the Crank Rotation Sensor the same as the Crankshaft Position Sensor?
Yes, I use both terms and use them interchangably. Besides Hyundai, I currently have Fords and Nissans in my pesonnal fleet and different manuals use variations of these terms. Replace the Crank Position Sensor. I am surprised that your check engine light is not on or that a scan hasn't produced error codes with this sensor problem.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks, Ken. CEL has never come on. I haven't had time yet to check codes with an OBD scanner. That will come this weekend. Don't have time until then. I'll report back what I find, but I'm checking the codes before I go pay $54.00 for a new sensor.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2001 Accent will not start!