Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2001 hyundai accent loses power going uphill

Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Default 2001 hyundai accent loses power going uphill

Hi everyone:
I am new to hyundaiforum, I have some problems with my 2001 hyundai accent stick shift, and am hoping to get some guidance here on what to do. The main problem with the vehicle is that it loses power going uphill, it seems to do find on level ground, though it doesn't seem to accelerate to the speed it should, but it gets 70-75 mph. However, going uphill, it loses power significently, it gets 50 mph max, and sometimes 30 mph on a steep hill. There is also a rapid "clink, clink" sound comes out of the front end of the car (somewhere under the hood) when I use a high gear with low speed, like if I drive 10 mph with the 3rd gear, it will make the sound, and the sound goes away when I do gain the speed to 25-30 mph, or 20 mph with the 4th gear, same thing. I had replaced mass air flow sensor, but that didn't fix the problem. I read about checking for vacuum leak with exhaust system, but I don't know how (well, I don't understand how it can be vacuum, since it's a exhaust system, that air comes in and goes out). Any advice is greatly appreciated on how to check for vacuum leak, or what else could be wrong with my car!!!
Thanks,

Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Default RE: 2001 hyundai accent loses power going uphill

I suspect the loss of power is your catalytic converter has become partially plugged. The cling, cling you hear is the platinum medium inside coming apart and rattling around. It should generate an error code, turning the check engine light on. Yes, it will only get worse if this is the problem.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Hi Ken:

Thank you so much for your reply!!! Like you mentioned, the problem is getting worse and worse, I was able to do 70 uphill before, then it dropped to 60, now 50 for the most part... I will defenitely have the catalytic converter replaced, or replace it myself if I can, after some research on how to... Thanks again!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:38 PM

oh, and yes, the check engine light is on... I read the code off of it before, dont' remember what it is now, I remember researching it off of the web, but returned too many possibilities of what was wrong, so I left it alone...

Old 09-09-2008, 02:04 PM

How many miles are on the car? Hyundai cars carry a number of warrenties, most owner's forget that there is a seperate 8 year/80,000 mile Federal emission warrenty which covers the catalytic convertor. If the car has less than 80K on the odometer, I suggest you contact a dealer about have this replaced under that special warrenty.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM

I already put 133,000 miles on it... but thank you very much for the information! By the way, is it difficult to change the catalytic converter on the accent? I was only able to grab the following information off of the web, if this is the way to replace it, I might have to take it to a shop. I thought it will just be a piece that Itake off, and screw on the new one. Didn't know welding is required...

============
it would be very hard. you may need a professional to do that.it is in line with your exhaust system. it is a piece of metal just like a muffler but a little bit smaller and it is located between the engine and the muffler. you will need to cut that piece and weld back a new one on your exhaust pipes which would require you to use acetyline torches.be carefull if you would DIY.============

Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM

I did a q&d search on the internet and came up with this source:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...ai/accent.html

Shows both flange mounted and weld-on units, some variation depending on which engine you have. You have to look at your particular car to see what type you have. If you have to get one that welds on, any reliable muffler shop should be able to provide that service at a nominal cost. Also, depending on the error codes you originally pulled up, you may have to replace one or both of the heated O2 sensors.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 PM

Just loosen your exhaust wherever is easiest (where the header connects to your exhaust there should be 2 bolts, hit them with PB and loosen) and test drive. It will sound like a stock car but your just going to do this for 1 test run. If your power is back then yes, your cats have come apart. ;*)

Old 05-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Default 2002 Santa Fe Looses Power Going Uphill

I finally got this fixed on the newly purchased vehicle with 185,000 miles, but let me explain some of the pain and a better method. Initially I replaced the spark plugs, then purchased and installed 2 used exhaust manifolds, the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, filter on the carbon canister, fuel injector O-rings, timing belt, engine restore oil additive, transmission fluid, front and back differential oil. I took it to a transmission shop and they said the transmission as fine but probably is the catalytic converter. I mentioned to them that I replaced 2 of the 3 cats. So I disconnected the main exhaust pipe from the junction of the two exhaust manifold pipes (2 screws) and ran it up the hill with no problem. So I took it to the exhaust shop and he welded a new rear cat on for $280.
I had previously disconnected the O2 sensors and ran it, but didn't try running it uphill since at the time (on flat surface) it didn't seem to have any affect. I should have gone up the hill with them disconnected and gone to the muffler shop sooner. The muffler shop drilled a hole before the cat and checked the pressure.

Last edited by jamesro2; 05-09-2014 at 10:07 PM.