Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2002 Accent 1.6 DOHC Where is CPS located No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Default 2002 Accent 1.6 DOHC Where is CPS located No Spark

Hello everyone, hours of surfing the web has me pulling my hair out lol.

My car has 97,000 miles on it bought it at 50,000 and haven't had a single problem until now.

Just last week upon starting it it stumbled then smoothed out, looked at my wife and said huh that was weird never done that before. Now a week later it won't start. It'll crank over just fine its just not getting any spark. I took a spark plug wire off (ha ha at the spark plug end) and put a tight fitting screwdriver into it I then filed off some paint on a few bolts in the engine compartment to make sure a spark could easily find ground. upon cranking over the engine no spark to be seen.

So I search and search and looks like a crank positioning sensor or cam sensor might be the culprit. I for the life of me can't get a clear description of where these sensors are on my motor. Now I can rip apart and rebuild a old chevy V8 with my eyes closed but I've got very little exp with newer cars and all there electrical sensor madness... At any rate I'd love to replace the CPS first as everything I've read says these things puke out at around 100,000 miles due to heat. Am I going to have to unravel the harness to free it up? Or is it just a quick disconnect and plug in. If anyone can help I'd sure like to save some bucks from not having to take it to a garage. Thanks alot.

I need to buy a chiltons one of these days but its ran soooo good for so long until now.

Thanks everyone.

Mike.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM

well just started running wire numbers from my engine and found number 39180-22600 and ta-da! it is the CPS sensor its on the block to the lower right of the exhaust manifold. So I'll try that first its $41.00 at my local parts store and I gotta walk about 4 miles lol... I'll be back, but in the meantime if someone could tell me where the camshaft sensor is that'll be great as I'll try that next unless I need to be trying somewhere else next... lets start the hike.

Mike.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Happy to report I was not mugged on my trek down town to the parts store, and I was able to put the Crank Positioning Sensor with only taking off the exhaust manifold sheet metal shield. I had to try many lengths of ratchets and extensions but was able to find a combination that worked. The sensor is located on block under the exhaust manifold all the way on the right side toward the bottom with 1 number 10 metric bolt holding it in place. After I installed new part it fired right up. Hope this helps someone out there...

Mike.