Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2002 Accent will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Default 2002 Accent will not start

My 2002 Hyundai Accent will not start. This keeps happening periodically. The first time the garage assumed it was unfixable and told me to junk the car but the next day it started and I drove it for a month before it happened again. I replaced the timing belt and fuel filter in that timeframe just to be safe. Recently it would not start again and the garage said it was the fuel pump which they replaced and it worked for a day and now it will not start again. Any ideas - I am puzzled and running out of money. I appreciate any advice on this issue - thank you

Old 01-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Default RE: 2002 Accent will not start

I forgot to add that it does crank and sounds like it wants to start but never quite gets there. I tried jumping it and that made no difference.thanks

Old 01-29-2007, 07:26 PM

very common on these . try changing the crank position sensor.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:06 AM

Where can I buy a Crank sensor for a 2000 Accent G code??
I have been looking.
Blessings
Steve-O

Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 AM

i've never heard of a part that a parts store cant get. i hate to assume that you didnt... but did you try autozone? if they dont have it, they will order it, and if they cant get it the dealer definitly can. but im pretty sure autozone can get it, and way cheaper then the dealer

Old 02-15-2007, 04:31 AM

before u go buy another one take urs out and have some mechanic check it out see if its still good...i hate just wasting money on parts i dont no postivly will fix the problem whatever it is

Old 02-21-2007, 01:23 PM

Are you actually getting a good spark at the plugs?
Have you checked to make sure the plug leads are not shorting out?

It often pays to check the simple things first.

Chris

Old 02-22-2007, 10:53 AM

Had similar problem on one occasion with my 2002 1.3 Accent. Would turn over but not fire, always sounded very close to 'catching' bu never did. I got very angry, got out of car and slammed the door, locked the car and wlaked away!! I then calmed down, returned to the car and put keys in ignition and tried again and 'hey presto' it started first time!!!! It has never ever done it since, but I put it down to an electrical gremlin in the electrical system (probably the immobaliser system) that reset itself when I locked and unlock the car!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 PM

First, a million thanks to my auto mechanic for pointing me in the direction of this website and then thanks to all of you for your posts and solutions. I have been having this problem for months - now it happens about once a day, or several times a week. Since I have a stick, as long as I park on a slope, I can pop-start it, but sometimes I have forgotten, with frustrating and expensive results. [:@]And no thanks to the mechanics who have replaced all kinds of things (battery, spark plugs) which didn't help the problems. []

Old 04-09-2007, 04:18 PM

lol it sounded like you were excepting an Emmy for a minute there.
anyway, what year is your car? how many miles?what exactly has been replaced so far? does it make any specific noise when you try to start it? for instance, stick your head under the hood and have someone try to start it. do you hear a clicking noise? if not you starter needs to be looked at and probably replaced. does it try to start but just fizzle out?

answer these questions and we will be better able to give you advice

Quick Reply: 2002 Accent will not start