Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2003 Accent; won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Default 2003 Accent; won't start!

I have a new Accent, 2003. I went out the other day and it wouldn't start. You can hear the starter or the solenoid click when I turn ther key. The battery is fine. Under the hood, in the fuse panel there is a small STRAT switch, I can hear that clicking as well so I assumed that is fine.. Any ideas ? Where is the starter on these cars. It almost seems as if it is inside the oil pan.

Thank you so much in advance.

ross

Old 10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Default RE: 2003 Accent; won't start!

I have been having the same problem with my 1996 hyundai accent for over four years.

My car won't start but this problem only happens intermittenly.

Most of the time my car won't start if I've been at the beach and the car is in the sun. Usually, when my battery is jumped the car will start. I've had a new starter put in a year ago but the problem still continues. I have ruled out my battery, transmission but I continue to have a problem with the car not starting.

The mystery of this problem is it doesn't happen all the time and I can't pin point a weather condition or part malfuntion that is causing the car from starting.

I would appreciate any feedback as this is an on going problem. My dealer can not find a cause and continues to sugguest replacing parts that are still working. I replace a good starter with a new one only to have this problem continue.

Is there any genius out there who might be able to make a suggestion. THANKS!

Old 12-05-2006, 11:19 AM

Hi silverhyundai,
You are not alone, I have been experiencing the same problem for 3 years now. I bought the car new in 2004 (it's a 2003 elantra gt) and the problem started about 6 months after I purchased it. The first time they replaced some clutch sensor and everything was fine for about another year, then the problem arose once again. It has left me stranded about 6 times in the last 3 years. So I had them towe it a few times. The problem is when they go to look at it in the morning, it starts fine. I am sure they think I am crazy by now, but I am not making this up.

The last time this happened (about a month ago) they replaced the starter. That didn't fix the problem obviously as it left my fiance and I stranded for another 45 mins in 30 degree weather until the car decided to start again.

So to clarify what is happening. The problem is intermittent, it will start fine for weeks even months, but when the problem occurs I turn the key and NOTHING. You can hear a clicking in the engine or dashboard, the radio and clock shut off and the car doesn't even crank. I will try it 1000 times and still nothing. If you let it sit for an hour or more then it will eventually start, but I cannot sit around in a parking lot crossing my fingers or locking/unlocking my car, turning the radio on/off hoping it would start. This is not my idea of a reliable car.

I am totally fed up at this point and I either want it fixed or a new(er) car, I should have bought a honda. I kick myself every day. Does anyone know what the heck is wrong with my car and can they help? If so, please let me know since the dealership hasn't a clue.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 12-07-2006, 02:00 PM

Hi, it's just possible that you could have the same problem that a friend of mine had. Tried changing all sorts of parts eventually to find that it was no more than a bad earth connection to the body from the battery. Cleaned it up, put it back, turned the key and away it went! And guess what!! It wasn't a Hyundai, it was a HONDA!!

Really hope this helps,

Chris.