Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2004 Accent Power Steering Pump Belt

Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Default 2004 Accent Power Steering Pump Belt

I'm currently dealing with a problem of slipping belts making a squealing noise, ever since I had these belts replaced at a dealer. It only happens when I turn the steering wheel, and usually only within the first 1-2 minutes after starting the car. I've got it narrowed down to either the alternator belt or the power steering belt. I visually confirmed that a belt is slipping, but since I can't be in 2 places at once I haven't yet confirmed which one. Hoping it is the alternator belt as it looks like that is more easily tightened/adjusted.

Now that I've really started to understand what all those belts do, for the first time, I took a real close look at the power steering belt.

My main question is, is the power steering belt supposed to have little 'teeth' on it? (NOT grooves like the alternator belt) The PS belt I have right now has teeth. I checked both pulleys that the power steering pump belt is attached to - that is the power steering pump pulley and the coolant pump pulley. Neither of those pulleys seemed to have any kind of notches for teeth to latch onto.

One theory I am working with is that the dealer installed a belt with teeth because it seems to fit on the pulley and also 'seemed to work' when you start the car... only when you turn the steering wheel all the way does one of the belts squeal (still unknown which), and only for the first few minutes of the engine running. I am -guessing- that maybe the genuine belt is supposed to have a single large V-shape running the length of the belt?

I've tried to find what the "genuine hyundai" power steering pump belt is supposed to look like, but since it's not sold by anyone but the dealers I'm having a hard time googling for it. Can anyone confirm whether the belt is supposed to have little 'teeth' (as mine does right now) or if it's supposed to be something different (i.e. V-shape).

As far as I can see, there is no way to tighten the PS belt. So if I can confirm that this is the belt that is slipping, I'm not sure that there are any decent options other than replacing the belt.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Thumbs up power steering belt noise fixed

2009 accent. there has to be a place to adjust or the belt could not be put on. First check is there is still room for belt adj! OMG! I had my timing belt replaced and the regular belts changed and then the power steering belt keep squealing esp in the am when cold(wintertime and when turning the wheel lock to lock anytime). The mechanic tried to tighten but did not notice that the adjustment was at it's max. I did. I went to hyundai and got the orig belt and I just finished having them replace it. I had then give me back the old belt and sure enough it was too damn big!! It was the right belt in their computer system but the wrong one for the car! sooo simple but it took some time to get to the bottom of it. The new belt has lots of adj room left as it should and the problem is solved. either pep boys has the wrong belt in their system or the after market belts are the wrong size