Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2005 Accent no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Default 2005 Accent no start

I think I have read just about every forum I can find for help on this issue however no one ever posts what was actually the fix for their no start issue. Like many others, my car was having problems starting when it was cold. I brought it in the shop and had the battery, battery terminals, and wiring replaced due to corrosion. The car started fine. It got cold again and didn't start. Towed it back to the shop and everything is fine again. Another cold snap came through and it wouldn't start yet again. Towed it back to the shop again and this time they said it was the crankshaft position sensor. I got the car back and did the replacement myself. The car still doesn't start. I replaced out the crankshaft sensor with another and also replaced the camshaft sensor too. Since then I have replaced the main relay, based on other forums, and a couple of fuses/relays under the hood. I have checked the timing belt and everything seems in check. When trying to start the car, it doesn't seem to have enough to make it turn, which was exactly why we replaced the battery to begin with. I have tested the coils and that is also fine. You can hear the fuel pump.turning on so that should also okay as well. What else do I need to check or other possibilities of what is wrong with this car? It has now sat in my driveway for months and I don't want to take it back to the shop where they completely try to run one over on me because I'm a woman.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Describe the no start situation. Does the engine turn over but just not start or does the starter not even run? How long had this been going on?

Maybe there's water in your fuel system that freezing.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:44 PM

It gives every indication that it should turn over, it just doesn't start. You can hear everything cranking to do it.
The problem had only been happening since it got cold enough to freeze out. After doing the battery replacement, it hasn't started since.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe the battery connections are loose or corroded. I have that checked first. I know you said the battery and cables were changed but maybe the place where the ground wire was connected wasn't cleaned well or maybe the cables weren't tightened correctly.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 PM

The car very much has power from the battery and after all this time, a slow drain has been ruled out. I was so mad about the battery situation that I actually made them redo all the work and replace more than they originally had done.
The last time my car made to an actual shop, the check engine light was on for the O2 sensor. They came back and said that the only code being read was for the crankshaft sensor. The O2 sensor isn't needed to the start the car, as the check engine light has been on for over a year. I just go and read the code every couple of months to make sure it's only the O2 sensor. Currently the car reads no error codes.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:27 AM

Are you sure there's no codes? A new code might generate after trying to start a few times.

An engine essentially just needs fuel, air, and spark. Pull a spark plug, and check for a healthy blue spark, not a weak spark.

You replaced your fuel filter recently? Remove the back seat (2 bolts), remove the plug from the fuel pump, turn the engine over to remove fuel pressure. Replace the fuel filter (may as well while your here), but don't connect the outlet to the fuel filter. Have someone turn the car over while you have a rag at hand, and see if it's a dribble or a spurt from your fuel filter.

Now, if you have healthy spark, and plenty of fuel pressure, with no error codes, have you checked your engine compression?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Anytime there is a crank, no start condition ... it is time to go back to basic
Check for spark at a spark plug wire
Check for fuel pressure .. listen for fuel pump prime when key is initially turned to on position.
Check for injector pulse

What was the exact code for the crankshaft sensor?
If you have replaced the sensor and it still does not work
Then it may mean there is a problem in the wiring
Need to check for continuity (a pair of signal wires) from the sensor to the ECU
Check to see if there is any short from the sensor signal wires to ground
Do a visual inspection of the wires .. especially wires near the exhaust or rubbing against metal

Good luck