Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2010 Accent Random Cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Default 2010 Accent Random Cylinder misfire

Hi,

I have a 2010 Accent and it's tossing out random cylinder misfire codes. The car is definitely missing at idle and at low RPM's under load. I'm the second owner and the car has just over 60k on it.

As a good measure I swapped out the plugs.
The coils all measure about the same ohms (ie +/- .1 ohm).
Sprayed starter fluid around the intake manifold / rubber hoses and the idle did not change.. so I'm guessing I don't have a bad gasket or a cracked hose.

I want to check the fuel pressure but I guess I need a special adapter for that. Going to try and find that tomorrow. (I'll also pick up a new fuel filter, in the tank.... that seems like alot of fun. haha)

(guess I should do a compression test as well)

What other things should I check out?

Thanks

Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 AM

How long have you had this problem? Could you have received a load of questionable gas? A misfire as you describe could be the result of something like a purge valve staying stuck open which would also give the symptoms of a typical vacuum leak. Try pinching the different vacuum hoses with a pair of pliers and see if you notice any change. A compression test would help to eliminate some problems too.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:28 AM

So it turned out to be one of the coils after all. I finally had my sons friend take a look at it. He took one look at the random codes and went back to old school techniques; he started to pull the control wire off the coils one by one. He got the bad coil on the first try. We swapped in a new coil and it's all fixed.

The sad thing is I did the same thing 3 days ago, but when I found the 'bad' coil I went ahead and swayed two of the coils and I expected the code to move with the swap. When the code did not move, I started down a different path. Guess I need to stop trusting those computer codes....