Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2012 Accent PUTRID/FORCEFUL ODOR/smells sweet and urine-like out of vents..HELP!!!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Default 2012 Accent PUTRID/FORCEFUL ODOR/smells sweet and urine-like out of vents..HELP!!!!!

........Any Ideas?

Dealer service manager did not mention heater core leak!

They are going to change the air filter/my cost of 70.00.

mechanic said he saw a spot of urine on filter and could be an animal.

further..... mechanic did not see any fog inside the vehicle........but with all that stuff coming out...nearly choking me to death?

and what is most laughable? is the mechanic thinks the 'sweet' smell is coming from my trunk ...which is storing about 20 bottles... mostly 'sealed' 'empty' bottles of diet pepsi.....only some cans......

WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO AVOID DOING FOR ME?????????

I would not have taken a day off of work if this were not serious ....and should have been addressed last summer...but have been working 7 days plus : /

this is my 2nd new hyundai....
it did happen another time with my 2000 elantra....

I reiterate....HELP!!!

I'M AFRAID I'M BEING POISONED WITH THIS CONSISTENT SUBSTANCE SPEWING.......UGH......DOUBLE UGH......

Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with the mechanic. Probably an animal got into the HVAC system. And you can change the cabin air filter yourself for a lot less money. The instructions are in your owners manual. The filter can be bought on eBay or Amazon for about $15-$20.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:24 AM
Default hmmm....

Originally Posted by NovaResource
I agree with the mechanic. Probably an animal got into the HVAC system. And you can change the cabin air filter yourself for a lot less money. The instructions are in your owners manual. The filter can be bought on eBay or Amazon for about $15-$20.

this is really bad....person i spoke to recently had the same problem with a hyundai suv....and it was the heater core....leaking....this odor is 'not' for the faint of heart!!!
sso yes...the filter was changed for 70 dollars...and what was the silliest' is that the mechanic said the sweet smell..... was coming from my trunk which housed about 20 16 0z bottles of diet pepsi in my trunk fully capped....with just a few open cans..waiting to be returned to the recycling center....none with soda remaining inside the can....i am not that stupid!

i have been reading up on ...'leaking heater cores'....if this be the case....the job is quite extensive....take the dash out and all....so i think the mechanics....were just being 'lazy' ...or?? just following hyundai's orders??
always taught to comply with 'the dealership'...for repairs and whatnot.....now?? i am not so sure....with 'service' like that....plus...he showed me the dirty filter....i smelled it myself....and ....not a trace...of the odor...i experience in that car...not a trace!

Old 06-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Default so therefore...

the problem is 'not' resolved!!! : (

Old 06-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Well, a leaking heater could could be the problem. Have you seen any coolant on the ground under the car? Have you checked the coolant levels in the radiator and the overflow tank?

Old 08-20-2014, 03:49 PM

Thats really werid. I hope that you get it fixed soon!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Default Not my first encounter with same problem.

Greetings to all, my first time here. Many years in pest control and urine odor is from a rodent invading the AC system do a thorough check to see where the hole is then call pest control company to set a trap. You could set a trap but do not use bait to poison the critter it could die in your car then u have big time stinko problems. Catch in a trap and throw it away then reset the trap sometimes they come in pairs. When you are sure the critters are dead then seal up the hole they made. Use disinfectant or similar product to kill the odor and germs. Not sure if Hyundai anti freeze has sweet smell but if so that's your problem my guess coming from heater core or a heater hose. Critters like to gnaw so getting urine odor and sweet smell at the same time not unusual.