Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

97 Accent SOHC won't start.Starter?Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Default 97 Accent SOHC won't start.Starter?Flywheel?

I have a problem that seems so simple to me but I am now frustrated. First off, let me tell you that I am Pilot/computer guy by trade, but my Dad and I used to always do our own engine work when I was growing up. So I am far from Master Mechanic but I don't think I am a dummy either.
So now the problem..I will try to make it quick...FYI I have had the starter off 5 times by now!!!!!
We bought the car 2months ago after it was sitting for a few months ( maybe 5 or 6) and it has 60000 miles on it. It was salvage for some reason but it has the NH State certification saying it is road worthy (for what it is worth). Thye are my neighbor and they have NEVER had a problem with the car.
About 3 weeks ago, my son got stranded at work because it would not start....I went there and it seemed to be the starter...it would not engage completely...I kept clicking the ignition till it did engage and it started right up...I know...not healthy for the fly wheel but I did not want to pay for a tow.
I went to VIP Auto and bought a new (reman) starter and installed it...It ran like a champ for 1 week. I took it for a ride to a store and when I turned it off, it would not turn over...So I thought I needed a jump. I got one and it still would not turn over...all you could hear was the solenoid clicking on the starter. But when I touched the battery cables they were very warm…meaning lots of current but no starter movement. So I thought...I got a bad remanufactured starter or the engine was seized...right??? Well I went to VIP and they had another starter shipped from another store for me and I replaced the suspected bad one. Now what I get is severe grinding, seemingly from the fly wheel and every so often the starter will engage and turn the engine over( 3-5 seconds)..however not long enough for it to start, before slipping off and grinding or just free turning. I took the starter off and looked at the flywheel and from what I could see with a mirror and my eye; it was not chipped or ground down in any way. Also, timing belt is not broken and the engine is not seized. I put a wrench on the camshaft sprocket and it turned just fine. I also took the starter off again and energized the solenoid and it did engage, so the solenoid seems to be fine. Could I have gotten 2 bad starters from 2 different VIP autos? If you have any ideas on what this could be or need more info,PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
FYI..when I changed the starter( the first time) I used a file and removed the corrosion from the conections so as to make a good connection..so I don't think grounding or power is an issue.
Thank You in Advance

Joe
You can email me at humahuma10@yahoo.com if you have ideas