Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Bad noises when engine on and rolling

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Default Bad noises when engine on and rolling

Hello,
First post so sorry for probably all the rules I am currently or will break.

I bought this Hyundai Accent 2003 (manual transmission) last winter and it's a great car. The engine sounds a lil rough when you start it up, but besides that it seems all good.

Anyways I don't drive it much maybe 3 times a month as I commute by bicycle 90% of the time. Over the last several months I've had a sort of whirring effect when rolling, not at the rate of the wheels, but a slower speed. The sound of the whirring can increase when banking a turn, but not by much.
So I've been a bad person by neglecting that. I thought perhaps it might have to do with the brakes or bearings so I brought it in and the brakes needed to be changed and surfaces refaced since PO didn't have that done before. They said that it is likely a transmission problem, which I've yet to have check out.

Flash forward to the other day when I drove to work (since I am a bit sick and it's too miserable to ride), there is a noise like something scraping like I have a piece of metal dragging around something.

I just spent 20 minutes rolling my car back and forth in neutral and listening to no avail. When the engine is off I can hear it a bit, but it is much more distinct when the engine is running in neutral, and very noticeable driving in any gear (though not rate change for different gears or rpms).

Any clues?

Old 03-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Default update:

so I had a friend try and help me chase down this ghost of a noise. I think it's coming from the right wheel.

Could someone comment about this noise and whether or not it's normal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxjM...ature=youtu.be

This video I recorded of my friend rotating the wheel. Reckon the bearing cartridge needs replacing?

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Safety concern #1. Inspect this thing,tune-up,check all brakes,and corroded lines really close,and do something about it,change engine oil,transmission gear oil and keep at right levels,drive shafts might be fu..ed,so there is that music,and wheel bearing(s) is one of many suspects.Don't drive,fix first.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:30 AM

Judging by the sound, I'd say it's your CV joint, bearings don't make such a loud sound.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:53 AM

All depends.Dry,worn out clutch bearing may surprise anybody by emitting all kinds of ugly scrapping,high,or low noises. The question is how far any bearing is fu..ed,and how and what is attached to it.If internal elements of bearings,like *****,or rollers has changed original shape,and there is no lubrication--all the music may be ugly,and noisy (You Tube is good source to find it). Have you ever heard worn out small alternator bearing? It's not only bearing itself,but all close elements attached near,that act like musical instrument(harmonic resonances-all kinds).Take the same worn out bearing in your hands,spin it and not much happens.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 PM

koza,
Would the clutch bearing sound like it was coming from the right wheel though? Please check out this new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOQx...ature=youtu.be and have a listen. I've shot video of the right and left wheel, the sound clearly is from the right.

ih8cars,
I'm not so sure about that, but only judging from this video for comparison
(not mine) or this
I could certainly be wrong though, but the symptoms don't quite match up: no clicking, no shuttering.

I should also mention that everything looks pretty clean. Car's got about 154k on it, no rust damage. Luckily I don't need to drive it. Will remember to check trans fluid next week when I get the chance.

Thanks for your words!

Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 AM

Talk is talk,it's time for some action.Inspect this thing,and no but.Lift each wheel ,secure car with jack stands,and let's play with it.I know,you want me to pin point the problem.Eliminate obvious first,check each wheel for bearings movement in every direction,next look at cv rubber boots,and yes,if there is hole,and no lubrication plus contamination,those joins may be done.Replace it.I have 270 000 kms on mine,and the are good as new. Check your brakes,front caliper's sliding pins,they may be seized.If you do it,you will see with your own eyes,what is going on.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 AM

I'm sure it's not the bearing, and you said you'd checked your brakes, so I suggested CV joint. If it's only coming from one wheel, and not the other, I doubt it being a transmission issue.

There's two bolts on the back of your brake caliper, take if off, and rotate again. Looking at your video, you're having trouble rotating it. I would of guessed brakes first up if you hadn't already checked them.