Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Brake pads selection

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Default Brake pads selection

Hello,

I have 2002 Accent and thinking of getting some pads that will last longer. My background is in mechanical engineering and I wonder why pads that are lets say of ceramic or kevlar are advertised without proper rotors? My guess (although I am not completely sure) is that, if I would put kevlar pads on regular rotors, my rotors would be gone much sooner than pads. Is my assumption correct? I wish to put pads that will last longer and provide better stopping power but on the other hand I don't want to end up changing rotors more frequent than pads.

Thanks in advance,

Majki

Old 09-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Default RE: Brake pads selection

ORIGINAL: Majki

Hello,

I have 2002 Accent and thinking of getting some pads that will last longer. My background is in mechanical engineering and I wonder why pads that are lets say of ceramic or kevlar are advertised without proper rotors? My guess (although I am not completely sure) is that, if I would put kevlar pads on regular rotors, my rotors would be gone much sooner than pads. Is my assumption correct? I wish to put pads that will last longer and provide better stopping power but on the other hand I don't want to end up changing rotors more frequent than pads.

Thanks in advance,

Majki

To play it safe use the same type of pad that is called out.

Pads are cheaper than rotors. Putting on a metallic when a semi-metallic is called for will wear down the rotors very quickly but the pads will last longer.

A dealer part is the best, although I have used Raybestos and they are very good drop-in replacements.

TommyR