Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Changing Spark Plugs for the first time.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Default Changing Spark Plugs for the first time 2009

Hey everyone,

I own a 2009 Accent. It is my first car, and I am trying my best to learn how to perform basic maintenance on it so that I can save some money and be a tad more self sufficient. I have been reading up on how to replace my spark plugs, and I have come across a warning advising me NOT to attempt it because the cylinder head is made of soft aluminum and could easily be damaged. Is this a legitimate concern, or is it something that shouldn't really matter so long as I am careful?

Also, what is this wire that is blocking my access to two of my ignition coils? Is it something that I can simply unbolt and push aside while I work on the plugs?

Last edited by bfeingerts631; 12-06-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 PM

Browsing hmaservice.com a bit more, I have discovered that it is the wire harness bracket that is blocking my access to two of my ignition coils. It does seem that this is something that I can safely work around, but I just want to be sure. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Unbolt the conduit and move it enough to get where you need to be..

Do yourself a favor, upgrade from std plugs and get some NGK Platinum, or better yet, NGK IRIDIUM... wht HYundai still put plain lawnmower plugs in with coil sticks is beyond me, when all the rest of product line has Platinum and IRIDIUM..

Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Any aluminum head can be damaged by a klutz plug change. Two key points: don't cross-thread and don't over-torque (or under, blowing out a plug is bad, too.) I recommend using a length of 3/8" fuel hose to start the plug--solves the first problem. You can't start it crossed with a hose--you feel the resistance. Then tighten to contact and add a half-turn--solves the second. Use some copper anti-seize on the threads. I've only done the Accent once (30K, 55K now) and I remember it being pretty straight-forward.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ Great advice.
Originally Posted by TheDurk
Use some copper anti-seize on the threads.
I can't emphasize this enough.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Follow what Durk said..but the most important thing is to do it when it is COLD. DO NOT remove the plugs warm or hot, that will damage alum. threads...

Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 PM

This tool is really helpful on ohc motors.

Cheap and on sale too. Harbor Freight item # 91705

Old 12-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

good advice here.

don't be afraid of the warning, but do be careful. some people use a rubber hose on the end of the plug to *start* threading it into the head.

can't say don't overtorque enough. you could even consider using a torque wrench if you really want to be careful. if you're getting into car repair, you;re going to need a couple sizes of torque wrenches one day anyways. if hmaservice doesn't give you the torque value, i know for a fact that NGK does.

as for the type of plug, well we can debate this until we're all blue in the face. i find that for the cost/performance platinums are just not worth it. either use coppers or step up to the irridiums. on an all stock newer model accent, coppers are going to be just fine. start with what the owner's manual recommends and then if you want better thats up to you. weather it does anything, i doubt it but hey i'm certainly not going to argue

Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 PM

You should always use a torque wrench when replacing plugs on a aluminum head, becouse it's very easy to over/under torque the plugs, since the metal is soft. And yes, use a piece of tubing to start the plug thread. Use anti-seize on the plugs, if you ever want to take them out again. This car is going to be a cake walk compaired to my old Taurus, no more bloody knuckles!