Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

1998 start problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Default 1998 start problem

Hey all.

I have a Hyundai Accent (Night Rider) 1998, 1,5 with start problems.

We have changed the battery, the sparking plugs, crankshaft position sensor and cam sensor. But the problem is still not fixed.
Yesterday after work I drove the car home, 1 hour later i was going see my friend and it would not start.

Normally it happens about two times a week and I drive the car every day.

The car have been several times at the mechanice (6 times) but they cant find the problem because it isa periodic fail.

Please help me!!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Banned
Default RE: 1998 start problem

Did anyone try to read the ODB II error codes? It's the first place to start in this situation. If your mechanic didn't do this, it's time for a new mechanic.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 AM

Is it getting spark, does the engine turn at all, or when you turn the key does just the power come on without any cranks? If its not cranking, or will crank and then wind, that is the starter, if its just turning and not getting spark, that could be a coil or a blown fuse in the engine bay, or a sensor. If its not turning at all, its most likely an electrical leak or a bad sensor you didn't change. Get the ODB codes and get back to us, autozone will usually scan it for free. Get back to us. And yeah, if your mechanic didn't check for codes, deffinantly find a new one.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the reply.

The mechanic get no errors because it is a periodic fail.

It sounds normally it just dont get the last "spark" to turn on. When the fail appear every 4-5 day we can push it and thats enough! Then I can drive 4-5 days again.

I really thought it was the crankshaft or cam sensor butboth of themwas changed last week. I really dont get it!!

I havebeen readingalot about this problem becauseI soon have got enough and most of all just want to sell it. But if it is just a small "thing" (wire or sensor) we have to change it will be stupid to sell it because of that.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:04 PM

Now hearing you say that you can get it going by pushng it and popping the clutch,,,its probably your starter. Starters are cheap,,but depending on how and where it is on your engine,,,it might be easier or a pain. If you can get the starter off,,,bring it in to autozone or advanced auto parts,,they should be able to test it for you,,,it could be the starter or it could just be a bad seliniod.

Or maybe i mis read what you meant by pushing it...let me know if that is what you meant.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 AM

Exactly was I ment!

This morningis one of the first days with alot of "ice" on the car. But it was a succes the first time because it's only 2 days ago ( tuesday ) last time it has the start problem. I'll guess next time the problem appear will be saturday or sonday. I know it sounds crazy, but it's a fact.

Why can we get it going by pushing it? and then I can drive 4-5 days again without any trouble!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 AM

The reason you can get it started by pushing it is because you are manually turning the engine, basically what a starter does, but the starter uses power(electricity), so your starter is bad, or the solinoid, or you're not getting power to the starter or your ground on the starter is lose. consider yourself lucky you have a 5-speed, because if you had an auto, you'd be dead in the water.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 PM

ok my car is doing the same thing and only after i bought which sucks and i brung in the starter to auto zone and the starter was good and i put in back in my car same problem there is power going to the starter cuz the lights dim like its getting power we even swiched batterys to make sure that wasnt the problem i can push start it but only with someone pushing the car with another car cuz the roads are all icy in my town can cant get any grip with my boots lol fell on my face a few times but its starting to **** me off so pleaze help asap

Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 AM

I think I know whats wrong.

My car is fixed and startsevery time.
The problem was the immobiliser. Try to update/chance this part and I am sure your car will start again : )

Let me know how it works out.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 AM

My mother has a 2003 Hyundai Accent with 39K miles that has had all of it's required maintenance. She has taken it to the dealer 8 times due to the intermittent starting problem and they can't find it because it's not occuring when she takes it there. It happens when the car sits for several hours and not all the time. Once it stalled at a red light when she was stopped. I have seen several questions about these cars having this problem and am wondering if there is an answer for what is "usually" the problem with this. Thank you for any information you can give.

Last edited by john86; 04-15-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 start problem