Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Default Fuel Consumption

Hi There, I have aquestion for all the accent owners. I just bought a used 2001 Accent sedan, and it runs great, but it seems to be using more gas than it should. Its really drinking it. I've looked to see if there's a leak but I don't see anything, and I just had a general service performed. I'm really hoping this is not its regular consumption, because if it is I should have just bought a chevy V8 lol. Has anyone experienced this problem? or know what might be the problem?

Old 05-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Default RE: Fuel Consumption

I also have a 2002 Accent and it gets about 18 mpg. That is even worse than my 2004 Santa Fe gets with AWD in it. I personally think the engine is running a race due to being so under powered. I watch the tach and it generally runs about 2500 RPM at about 60 MPH. If it had a 5th gear, I think it would make a difference. What kind of mileage does yours get. Mine has about 60K on it. I just had to replace the crankshaft position sensor. It was just dying going down the road for no reason. Is there any other sensor that would cause such lousy gas mileage? I have a 95 Altima with a 2.3 and it gets 30 to 33 mpg even with 176k on it! By watching all the commercials about the Hyundai cars it never said anything about the Accent getting good mileage. It talked about the Sonata and the Elantra though. I think that maybe this could be a subtle hint about this model. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will shed more light on this when they read it. Let me know: syrup1@butterworth.tc

Old 05-21-2006, 06:14 PM

I own a 2002 Accent and the mileage is still pretty good at 60,000 miles....around 27 mpg city and 30+ mpg highway.Sometimes the mechanical condition may not have 100% effect on gas mileage....you have to also consider the way you drive it also.Do you stomp down the accelerator when the light changes green?Do you slam on the brake pedals when coming to a stop rather than do a gradual slowing down?Do you live somewhere that has a lot of stop and go driving?Your car can have the most effective tune up that money can buy BUT if you drive in a way that makes it consume more gas then it wont help you much in the pockets.My tach also shows about 2500 rpms at 60 mph so i dont think that would have an adverse effect on the gas mileage.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:51 PM

Could there be a sensor causing the problem? It not driven hard, we live in the country(south St.louis MO) drive about 15 miles each way. It is serviced well. It was a free car when I purchased my Santa Fe. It was off lease/rental car traded in to a local dealer. Is there somewhere I can get the trouble codes at? I take advantage of Autozone and get them to use there ODBII computer and give me the error codes. That is how i found the crankshaft position sensor problem. I just bought a spoiler off Ebay for $60(painted) and put it on the car. Not bad for the $.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:47 PM

You can get the codes at hmaservice.com by registering there....its free.But if you been getting codes for free from the parts store then why havent you been getting the problems fixed if the Check Engine light has been on to alert you there is something wrong going on?Just finding out the codes and resetting the system will not fix whats generating the codes.....things need to be fixed or replaced sometimes.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:15 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response. I don't drive hard at all, and the car was just serviced. After some extensive reading i've learned that the MAF sensor may be dirty or bad, and i've also learned that they can be quite expensive for such a small part.

I'm working up the courage to clean it before I go pay for it to be plugged into a diagnostic machine, and was wondering if you had any tips on cleaning said part.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:20 PM

I and my Wife have a 03 Accent 3 door 5 speed. We get at least 32mpg on every tank. Some times we can get as much as 40mpg. Right now we have 46k on it and we have hard done any maintenance on it at all. But I do believe the 03 has the 1.6 engine.