Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

harsh shift normal?? 2007 accent

Old 05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Default harsh shift normal?? 2007 accent

hi everyone

i bought a 2007 automatic accent a few months ago.
from the beginning, i noticed that sporadically, when i accelerate (normally, like making a left turn, or right turn at a light, or on an onramp onto the highway), it's like it won't accelerate for a sec (i push down the pedal and nothing happens) then it bangs (into gear) and starts accelerating. i would equate the feeling when it does it to running over a bump in the road - there's a definite hard shift and very abnormal.
i took it to the dealership i bought it from and they were useless (actually very rude) and told me it was normal - the tech actually came out with me for a ride and he said it wasn't normal, but when i called later, suddenly the service manager gives me attitude and tells me all the cars do it, and it's normal. i even took the test car out for a drive that they 'supposedly' used to compare it with and i could not get it to recreate it.
anyways, the check engine light does not come on, and apparently there is nothing in my computer that says anything is wrong with it - "meets factory specs" according to the dealership.
i've been driving for over 20 years and i know when a car is doing something that is normal and not-normal. this is not normal. and anyone in my car when it happens, agree.
i took it to a second dealership and the service manager also said it was normal (and he said the sonatas do it as well!). ok, now i'm no dummy, but how come the test car i drove the hell out of for an hour and half before i bought the car, the test car i tried at the dealership when i took my car in, and any accent owners i talk to, never have this happen!
i was told that i need to drive in the city with o/d off (isn't that defeating the purpose of fuel economy??) and that it is having a hard time knowing when to shift when coming out of certain gears...or something gibberjabber to that effect. i'm sorry...doesn't that mean there is a problem if it doesn't know how to shift gears???
i'm really upset by all of this.
can anyone else tell me if this has happened to them??
it's to the point where i hate driving my car....

thanks in advance!
g3mini

Old 05-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Default RE: harsh shift normal?? 2007 accent

just an fyi - my boyfriend called hyundai canada and told them what we were told - that this is normal etc and they said they've never heard of that! they told him that the 'break-in' period is 10,000km and if it's still doing it after that to give them a call and they will have one of their 'higher up' techs look at it.
so i have 3,000 more kms to go and then that might make a difference?!?!? lol
we'll see.....

Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Default RE: harsh shift normal?? 2007 accent

Ihave 41,000 Miles on my 2007. The car is still far from broken in. Mechanics keep telling me when they do oil changes how impressed they are of this engine. The "hard" shifting is very normal. I used to own a 1998, the 2007 shifts a lot easier than that; even without being broken in. These complaints will be alot more common, as gas prices keep going up and people shift out of their guzzlers into the sub-compacts, and compacts. This is normal for a 4 cyl subcompact car guys.Those of us who are used to driving them do not see this as a problem, andsome of them shift easier and some shift harder; but on all of them you are going feel the shifting.

-There should only be Hyundai Car and Aftermarket Part Ads on this site.