Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Longevity and miles on an Accent

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Default Longevity and miles on an Accent

I just purchased a 2005 Accent GT with 22k miles on her. What is most miles every posted on a Accent?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Default RE: Longevity and miles on an Accent

Is yours an automatic or manual? I can see the engine lasting well over 200K with proper care. The key here is to keep that timing belt replaced at the specified intervals. If not, and it breaks, you will need a top end engine rebuild, minimum. Personally, the highest mileage Accent I've seen has been in this Ebay auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...em330222821476

244,000 miles, but it was a manual.

I can see my car going to 200K with proper care, and I take very good care of it. I'll probably trade up to an '07 or newer SE hatchback before I see 200K, though!

The automatics were weak points on the 00-01-02 models. They seemed to have an iffy track record and a high number of failure. So far, I have 55K on mine and not had any problems with the auto tranny, but I keep it serviced with proper hyundai spec. fluid.

I love my accent and I've gotten a best of 36MPG highway with the automatic.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 PM

The manual transmission gives the 5th gear not quite 3680rpms at 75mph. It would be nice if those rpms would be 10% to 20% lower. Might the higherrpms lower a potentially long life.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Small displacement 4-cylinder engines with low torqueactually live longer are higher RPMs. They don't make as much power at low RPMs so forcing them to run the same vehicle speeds at lower RPMs is actually making them work harder. This is one of the reasons why 4-cylinders have lower final gear ratios than V6 engines.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 PM

Yes, my 2005 Accent seems very solid for a smallish type car. It seems a lot more solid then a Toyota Matrix or Corolla. I am suprised that some parts of the country its hard to find a Hyundai. Has anyone ever used a K & N air filter in their Accent. Some say that in the Florida climate, its not good for the car.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 PM

Hi NovaResource....There is much truth in what you say about lugging a small engine. But dropping the rev count down to 3300 rpms at 75 or 2600 rpms at 60 surely can't be considered lugging the engine, especially if one is a feather footer.The only reason themanual Accent has such high rpms is for the lazy young drivers who complained because theyhad toshift down to getOKacceleration at 60MPH. With the price ofgas rising,Hyundai made a mistake with such mandatoryhigh revs at highway speeds. Besides, the short-throw shifter is so sweet that Accent has pure shifting entertainment now.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Hello,I have had just installed a MPG guage from J.C. Whitney. Actually it is a vaccum guage, but it teaches you how to drive for better MPG. I have installed a oil and tranny cooler and am
working on a cold air system (this on a 2008) that will have a k+n filter soon. I fully expect 400k out of this car and to last me 20 yrs. The guage I previously talked about will keep you in a lower gear until 60 mph or better. You can see that reving the motor and keeping good vaccumis better than lugging it for MPG. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:30 PM

I have 178k on my ’02 with the original clutch! 200k is not going to be an issue. No problems just maintenance and minor repair (mostly maintenance). On top of that, most of those miles were in NY, the saw mill, 684 unforgiving on a car. My car and I have driven from Toronto, ON to Kew West, FL and everywhere in between. In fact I am planning on driving back to NY for the summer.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Here is an older thread that complained about lugging the engine & encouraged people to keep their revs up. Imentioned here that the Accent manual tranny needed a sixth gear.

I got to take my wife's 2008 Accent for some day trips & nailed down 41.5, 42.6,& 45.1 MPG over major mountain passes. Bet thehigh revpeoplecan't get those numbers.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM

ha ha! I just hit 184,000! 200K here i come!!!

Quick Reply: Longevity and miles on an Accent