Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Lug nut torque

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Default Lug nut torque

How much torque should I have on my lug nuts, for the 16" alloy wheel. I figure about 90?

Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Banned

You better take it someplace if you need a torque wrench to put on lug nuts. It's not rocket science.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jsinton
You better take it someplace if you need a torque wrench to put on lug nuts. It's not rocket science.
Torquing lug nuts properly with a torque wrench is smart. Ramming them on with an air gun can warp the rotors and damage the wheels. Even just tightning by hand with a cross bar can get them too tight. ALWAYS use a torque wrench on lug nuts.

Originally Posted by bigrob
How much torque should I have on my lug nuts, for the 16" alloy wheel. I figure about 90?
What year Accent?

90 lb-ft is too high in my opinion. I believe 65-80 lb-ft is what Hyundai calls for.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:08 PM

You should know better than to NOT use a torque wrench for your lug nuts!!!! Especially on alloy wheels! And ur a SENIOR MEMBER???

Thanks Nova! I think your #'s may be a little low, but then again I am not sure, and thats whay I'm asking

Just checked on Discount tires website, they show Hyundai's up to '05 65-80 lbs.

You da man baby!!

Last edited by bigrob; 06-28-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Banned

Ok then, I am humiliated for my meatball ways. Don't try to get a job at the tire shop and use a torque wrench though, you'll be a laughing stock.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Ok then, I am humiliated for my meatball ways. Don't try to get a job at the tire shop and use a torque wrench though, you'll be a laughing stock.
Sorry but the brain-dead, ham-fisted gorillas at the tire shop are the laughing stock. I never let them touch my cars.

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-29-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Sorry but the brain-dead, ham-fisted gorillas at the tire shop are the laughing stock. I never let them touch my cars.
Discount tire ALWAYS uses a torque wrench after they have used the air gun! I am always on top of them watching. Problem is, their airgun settings are always higher than the recommended poundage, and when they use the torque wrench, it just clicks immediately and they think all is good, when in reality, they dont know! There could be 200 lbs!! They just know that there is AT LEAST what their wrenches are set at. I always go down the block and loosen and re-torque!! Nice to be sure!!

Anyway, I usually try to take my wheels off myself and bring them there, and then reinstall my self. That is what I did with these wheels and tires.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

I always go down the block and loosen and re-torque!! Nice to be sure!!

Anyway, I usually try to take my wheels off myself and bring them there, and then reinstall my self. That is what I did with these wheels and tires.
BINGO!!! That's exactly what I do.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:30 PM
daw

Discount tire ALWAYS uses a torque wrench after they have used the air gun! I am always on top of them watching. Problem is, their airgun settings are always higher than the recommended poundage, and when they use the torque wrench, it just clicks immediately and they think all is good, when in reality, they dont know! There could be 200 lbs!! They just know that there is AT LEAST what their wrenches are set at. I always go down the block and loosen and re-torque!! Nice to be sure!!

My son, a Discount Tire store mgr. told me that his store in Colorado uses, Tork-Stix on theirs guns. These "sticks" bend at 65 lbs, stopping further tightening. They then finish with their "clicking" torque wrench.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:00 PM

jniston here is the deal any shop that should go near your car should have at least torque limiter extensions these are color coded for the application easy to use and puts acceptable torque on a lug nut without over torqueing. If you want to be a lug nut yourself LOL just crank it on down on your alloy wheels. Results could be bad in the long run. I managed Firestone as service manager, worked as a registered BMW Mech and I used a torque wrench faithfully, you bet. and blah blah for another forty years of experience. Trying to set air guns is the wrong way to go big time. I know you mean well but this is a VERY SERIOUS CONSIDERATION FOR ANYONE DOING THIS SERVICE. Have a great day.

Quick Reply: Lug nut torque