Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 04:17 AM
Bio
Default Need help

I have a 07 accent 1.6L and I'm replacing the timing belt. I rotated crank shaft to tdc but can't get the valves at tdc. Should I get the valves at tdc then take the belt off and then adjust the crank to tdc or visa versa?

Old 01-01-2017, 04:32 PM

No, keep the timing belt on until you have both the crank shaft and cams at top dead center.
You have an interference engine. Potential danger. Don't be looking at the valves when you need to look at the cams gears.
This means the valves and pistons will hit each other if the timing is not correct.

There should be timing marks on them and they will align when the revolutions are right.
For every one revolution of the crank shaft the cams will turn half a revolution.
If you turn the crank shaft to top dead center and the cams are not lined up properly
Then you need to make the crankshaft turn another full revolution.
Watch your timing marks.

If you need visual then check out youtube videos on changing timing belts.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Bio

Originally Posted by avisitor
No, keep the timing belt on until you have both the crank shaft and cams at top dead center.
You have an interference engine. Potential danger. Don't be looking at the valves when you need to look at the cams gears.
This means the valves and pistons will hit each other if the timing is not correct.

There should be timing marks on them and they will align when the revolutions are right.
For every one revolution of the crank shaft the cams will turn half a revolution.
If you turn the crank shaft to top dead center and the cams are not lined up properly
Then you need to make the crankshaft turn another full revolution.
Watch your timing marks.

If you need visual then check out youtube videos on changing timing belts.
I turned the crank over multiple time and the crank is still behind

Old 01-01-2017, 10:00 PM

How are you checking the cam timing marks?

Take a look at this video and at about 5 minutes into the video it show what to look for and where to look for it.

If still un sure then look at all the parts of this video to see what is required to do this job.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:13 AM
Bio

Originally Posted by avisitor
How are you checking the cam timing marks?

Take a look at this video and at about 5 minutes into the video it show what to look for and where to look for it.

If still un sure then look at all the parts of this video to see what is required to do this job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjPvICQPcsM
Sorry I was unclear in my first post and I appreciate the help. The timing belt was so bad that at one point of turning the engine over there were only 3 teeth on the crank at 1 time. So at some point crank had to of slipped out of timing. So I took the belt off realigned the crank to top dead center and put it all back together. It's running fine, I drove it down the highway and around town without any problems.

Last edited by Bio; 01-02-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Well, some important information was left out.
So that makes it impossible to try to help you.
But, glad you're back on the road again.

Good luck