Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Problems with filling up gas

Old 03-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Default Problems with filling up gas

Hey guys, my wife's 2002 Hyundai Accent is having some issues at the gas station.

Whenever we try to fill gas, the pump stops after about 5 seconds of pumping - no matter how empty the tank is. The pump only keeps going if there's very little pressure on the pump lever, just enough to get the gas flowing.

So, it would take about 15 min to fill up an empty tank like this.

Has anybody had this problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Default RE: Problems with filling up gas

Found this reply from a previous post concerning gas fill-ups.
"Depending on the filler tube design, the flow from the pumps can be too fast to fill up cars. A standard pump runs 11-13gpm providing the pump filter is in good order. Some pumps can run at 15-16gpm. When the fuel exits the tip of the nozzle and is forced to go into the cars filler neck (which has a quick bend downwards toward the tank) the fuel will backspash a bit and the nozzle will think that the tank is full and shut off the flow.

Next time the nozzle shuts off after you've started fueling, pull the nozzle out 0.5-1.5" and then fuel the car. You shouldn't have any problems after that!"

Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Sorry Frozeh2o,

I have the same issue as "vchengap" with my 1999 Hyundai Accent and it didn't start until about November of 2006 (I have had my car since it was new). All of a sudden? What is that about. It was actually accepting gas from about March until mid-April when the problem started again. I go to all different gas stations and the problem was pretty consistent irrespective of the gas station I went to. I don't know what is up. I am definitely too cheap to take it in to get looked at, especially since my car is worth less than a pair of new Nike Jordan's at this point. Sucks, especially when you have NY winters.

I guess it is called: Buy a car that is worth more than $10,000 and you won't have that problem.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:53 AM

i had to register to this site when i saw this, anyways here goes my first post. I had this same exact problem with my girlfriends 99 accent and the problem was charcoal clogging up the vapor tubes going into the charcoal canister. Its a pretty easy fix all you need are a 10mm socket and a pair of pliers. On the car i worked on the canister is on drivers side rear corner. Just take the tubes off there should be two of them a fat and a skinny tube. Just blow all the charcoal crap out of there and you are done. It kept happening to me so i had to get a new charcoal canister. I was lucky and found one at a junkyard. I'm afraid to know how much a new one at the dealer is. Your car should still be under warranty so they will change it free of charge.
Hope this helps,
Chris

Old 05-03-2007, 11:19 PM

I have the same problem with my 2001. I have talked with the parts dept at the dealer and the canaster is about 180 bucks. Just putting off replacing. I'm going to go to the junk yard first.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:28 AM

ive seen this problem before ive been in the car business for 12 years and it happens when the fuel vapor system fills up with fuel ive seen this happen to all makes of cars over the years i have worked under 10 different auto makes and it is more recent that this problem has started. emissions laws require the manufacturer to recapture the vapor from the fuel tank instead of releasing it into the atmosphere. it is very common with people who we called (clickers) they keep clicking the gas pump until it wont pump anymore gas in the tank the problem is if this is done it fills up the fuel vapor system with fuel then its like trying to pour gas out of a gas can with out opening the vent you can do it but the air in the tank has to fight against fluid to escape.its the same idea with pumping fuel into the tank the air has to beable to escape somehow. you may have to replace the fuel vapor purge solenoid (sometimes called a canister close valve) and canister to get this fixed a used one might be plugged up too .i hope this info helps

Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 AM
liz

Moodude, how does that apply to those of us who do not overfill the gas tank and who have the problem as soon as the gas is pumped? I have a 2005 Accent that is new to me and previously was a rental. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 AM
liz

Moodude, how does that apply to those of us who do not overfill the gas tank and who have the problem as soon as the gas is pumped? I have a 2005 Accent that is new to me and previously was a rental. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

If the vehicle was topped off, the vent lines can be plugged. If it is a 2005 and has less than 60,000 miles (and you are in the U.S.), the car is still under warranty. Take it to the dealer and see if they will help you. I had some problems with that system early on when I bought my car new. They never fessed up, but I think the dealer over-filled the tank when they delivered the car. Driveability was never an issue, but I kept getting a Check Engine Light. It took a few visits to the dealer but eventually they fixed it under warranty.

Because of the car's history (rental), a dealer may try to say this is not a warranty repair, and that may even be correct. But try to sweet-talk them a little. I've never had a problem with local dealers, but I try to make a point of being congenial and not confrontational.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:46 PM

I'm having the same problem. The gas pumps for about 3 seconds before it shuts off. Takes about 10 minutes to fill the tank. I see that people have fixed it by removing charcol from the vent tubes. Can anyone tell me where I can find the vent tubes and charcol canister in order to try to fix this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems with filling up gas