Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Review: Wheelskins Leather Steering Wheel Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Default Review: Wheelskins Leather Steering Wheel Cover

I've tried those $10 vinyl covers and found that they get loose. I've always liked the factory leather-wrapped steering wheels, but didn't know that level of quality could be obtained after-market.

I ran across the Wheelskins product at my local auto parts store. It looked quality, with a quality price... $50. Is it worth it? Yes it is. This turned out to be a quality product. Installation requires time and patience, so some may choose to let the professionals install this. Car dealers are usually happy to take our money...

The covers come in many sizes and colors. I wanted a stock look, so i got the charcoal "orginal" cover in size AX. This fits 14.5-15.5in wheels with a 3.25-3.5 inch wrap-around distance. The wheelskins website recommends a 4" wide wheel cover, but that seemed like too much. With a nice tight draw on the string, the leather wrapped up real nice on my 2010 Accent GS's steering wheel. Size AXX is a bit wider and should work with a bit less effort on having to tighten the included string/line.

I recommend you thoroughly read and follow the one-page manual. Not a lot of steps, but you don't want to screw up at the beginning. It's a long, slow process to install this cover and you want to make sure you do it right. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I took my time.

The manual recommends using gloves. DO IT. I wore thin rubber gloves to give me good grip on the line while still providing good feel of what i'm doing. It took me two hours to install this cover and you really can't stop easily in the middle, so make sure you have time to do it, and do it right. Your hands will get tired towards the end, but i think the end result is worth the hard work. Grab your favorite beverage and take your time. I did it at night and needed a flashlight as the dome lights don't light the underside of the steering wheel. Job would definitely have been easier in the daytime.

If you follow the directions, you will be successful. I used the "dummy stitches" around the wheel spokes, as the manual suggests. The line is quite long, especially at the beginning. As you thread it through, the loose line will wrap around every conceivable protruding part of the interior . I managed to wrap the line around the shifter, ebrake, arm rest, seat belt latch, and seat height adjuster **** on multiple occasions. Definitely not a job for the impatient.

This is a quality product and recommended. It's even made in the USA! The manufacturer will even provide a replacement line if you make a mistake, for free. Nice to see something still made in our country. Check out http://www.wheelskins.com/ for more info.