Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Installating Pioneer AVH-3200BT in 2009 Accent GLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Default Installating Pioneer AVH-3200BT in 2009 Accent GLS

I had a bit of time to replace the factory stereo in my 2009 Accent with a Pioneer 2-DIN AVH-3200BT. I wanted to share some detail with anyone looking to swap their stereo. (The result is a perfect looking and operating 'factory-look' dash unit. The AVH-3200BT is a flush face, non-motorized unit, a perfect choice for anyone looking for a factory look. I got it for $260 plus shipping on ebay)

1. The Accent allows single or 2-DIN stereos to be installed with ease. My factory unit was a single din unit, and I wanted to use the new Pioneer 2-DIN unit. I used a Metra Bracket and Harness (metra #95-7321 and #70-7303). I did NOT need the antenna adapter mentioned in many places online. I found these Metra parts on Ebay for $12 a piece shipped.

2. I created the required harness by connecting the Metra harness to the Pioneer cable provided. Everything matched, color by color. See the next item for a detail on the BRAKE BYPASS I decided to add while I had the time.

3. I added a 12V relay to the cable, to allow the BRAKE BYPASS feature to exist. (Relay can be ANY 12V relay with one set of Nornally Open contacts. I went with a smaller unit from electronics store, $3.19 or so. The smaller the relay is, the quieter the 'click' will be). I Tied the Pioneer 'Remote AMP' Blue wire to the Metra harness to feed the rear-window antenna amplifier AND to the new relay coil as well. Other side of the coil went to Ground. One of the Normally-Open contacts also ties to Ground, and then the other relay connection feeding Ground to the Brake Interlock (light green).

4. The Faceplate trim is easy to remove. It has 7 pressure clips. First, apply a length of DUCT TAPE to the lower dash surface very close to the trim panel. This will protect that surface in the following action. Using a couple of dinner knives, I carefully slid them into the lower corner and pryed them forward. once it began to pull forward, I used my hands to release the whole faceplace trim assembly. There are no other screws or locking mechanisms keeping it on, just some force to pull it forward and overcome the 7 clips tension cforce. Once lifted, I unconnected the 4 connectors by pressing the FOUR connector locking clips as I pulled each cable out of the mating connector. This allowed the trim faceplate to be removed entirely from the dash.

5. The Metra bracket has 2 tabs of plastic in the lower corners that are to be removed as shown in the instructions. I ALSO removed the plastic mounting ears on the left and right sides since that would have interfered with the air vents. These are extra tabs anyway and unneeded on an Accent.

6. I ran the Pioneer supplied Bluetooth microphone up across dash opening and towards the steering column, to mount on top of the steering column. The thin wire easily routes back to the stereo area. Cable-ties on the extra wire to keep it in place and out of the way inside the dash opening.

7. Re-assembly was easy. Make sure main harness is plugged in to the car's connectors AND to the back of the Stereo, make sure the bluetooth MIC 1/8" plug is inserted, and finally antenna coax is in place.

8. I then carefully re-inserted the new 2-din unit with Metra bracket attached, attaching the bracket to the car dash with the 4 original screws originally holding the factory stereo in place. Once the stereo was solid and in place, I then attached the 4 connectors for the trim faceplate switches and clock.

9. Finally, I pressed the whole faceplate carefully back into the dash.

Done!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 AM

Mark,

Do you have any photos you can share? This is one of those threads that could really benefit from that. I have a 2010 Accent (similar dash i think) and been wanting to know how that faceplate around the stereo comes out.

Marcin

Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM

im installing subs and an amp in my 2009 accent 3 door hatch, using the stock 2 din xm ready head unit. does anyone know if that head unit come with a seperate amp for the door speakers. i came across a wiring diagram that said it would and the amp would be located in the rear hatch behind the trim but when i took it apart i found no amp.

any help is appreciated! thanks